SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2nrussell2

Cool Season Plants 2021

I began this but it didn't post. Are you ready with Cool Season plants you're going to be growing? I'm almost there. I have a glut of greens, so am culling through those now. Please share yours, so I can see what I'm forgetting! I ordered more asparagus, both for here and Lincoln.

I clipped this bit from Dawn in Jan. 2019. . .

I've been working on the lists of things I want to grow this year. So far, I've about finished the cool season grow list, the warm season grow list and the flower list. I haven't even thought about herbs yet, but then most of my herbs reseed so there's not a lot of seed-starting that I have to do with herbs anyway. I'll probably have the lists done by Monday or Tuesday.

To make a grow list, I sit down with my seed box, and take out the appropriate seeds, pulling the packets I want to use this year. Then I divide them into piles by category and make a list on notebook paper. After that, I ask myself what is missing, and then I go and order the varieties I want to grow and add those to the lists. It sounds easier than it is because once I'm online, I see many more things than I have room to grow, and this is when the revising and revising and revising of the lists begin. Eventually I end up with lists that please me, but there's always compromises, like...if I put carrots here, then where will the potatoes go? And, if they go there, then how many can I fit into that raised bed? That sort of thing.

I don't plan out a garden on paper like....corn will go here, beans will go there, etc. I used to do that, right down to each square foot of space. The way I do it nowadays is that on the day I am going to plant, I walk out into the garden with a ziplock bag of the seed packets I'll be using (or flats of plants I started from seeds as appropriate) and I just start planting. I just listen to the voice in my head and do what it tells me to do. Everything works itself out. For example, the corn has to go someplace where it will not shade shorter crops. The vining plants have to go in beds with trellises (or beds to which I will move trellises) or they need to be planted where they can climb the garden fence. Everything else just finds its own spot in the ground somewhere and it all works out, largely because I've been doing this for so long that I know all the different options or planting combinations or whatever. Of course, it works out because, after all these years in this same place, I also know how long the grow list can and cannot be. I cannot list more things on it than we'll have room for. So, really, this past week and this coming week with the grow list and seed ordering---that is it for me in terms of planning. After that, it is all about starting seeds indoors as appropriate and then waiting for the right planting weather outdoors to arrive.

Sure miss her--know you all do, too.

Comments (21)