SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_77494458

Home addition and renovation costs?

Ben Noname
3 years ago

Hello. My wife and I moved into our home about three years ago and we're looking to make some changes. We love the location and neighborhood so we'd like this to be our forever home and we want to make it more perfect for us. It's a 2,097 SF ranch in South Florida. We have three main projects in mind. From biggest to smallest:

(Red circle #1 in the figure): We would add roughly 10' back into the backyard, 24' wide (240 SF of new addition). The new addition to would add a bedroom and full bathroom. The new hallway would go through an existing bedroom closet so we'd add another closet to the existing bedroom within the new addition.

(Red circle #2): We would move the kitchen wall about 5' out into the living room. This wall currently has a fridge, counters, and some cabinets. We would remove the end portion of the wall while keeping countertops to make a peninsula separating the kitchen and living room. We would also add an island in the bigger kitchen. Probably looking at replacing cabinets and counters throughout the kitchen during this work.

(Red circle #3): We would extend the master closet a few feet into the bedroom.

Interior finishes throughout the house are all currently basic laminate faux-wood floors and painted drywall. We don't need anything fancy/high-end.

I drew up some plans on my computer. First two are the current layout with/without measurements, and the third is what we envision the layout to be.

Any ideas what the costs for this kind of thing would be? In terms of implementing this, do you think we would need an architect or just a GC? I've never done anything like this so I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance

Comments (12)