SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubynl

60's home family room palette

Rebecca C
3 years ago

Hi there,

We recently bought a midcentury split. It's got a lot of character, and a great layout: we're really happy here. The decor is not appealing: lots of icy blues and greys, along with plenty of curlicue wrought iron details!

We're taking care of that stuff over time, and right now, i'm focusing on the downstairs family room.

It's a large space that you come down a half staircase to get to, and while it's partially underground, i wouldn't call it a basement, exactly. There's a large window at the far end of the room with Eastern exposure. The floor is a light coloured laminate that will eventually go, but not as part of this design project.

It will be a combination playroom/family room.

I'm interested in playing up the idea of the 60's vibe to match the house itself. Currently, we've got dark brown couches that veer cool, and a large carpet that has cooler beiges and browns. Also, a nice, double wide set of dark wood bookshelves that my husband and his dad made. Other than those three items, anything you see can, and likely should, go (please note, we're only just moved in and this area in NO way reflects my design aesthetic!)

I'm looking for a playful, cozy mid-century vibe, and would truly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Rebecca

p.s. Not an amazing photo, but here are the sofa and rug for a sense of the colours.

Comments (3)