SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deborah_flaws

Color Palette for House - Paint to Sell!

Deborah Flaws
8 years ago

I am planning on painting the interior of most rooms in the entire house prior to putting the house on the market to sell. What color palette would you go with?

Current colors are listed below. Please let me know if I should keep or change the color? Note that I get lots of sun in the house facing towards the west (living room/dining room on the west side).

Main floor includes:
Entryway/Hallway: White (it was red, but I repainted it white a year or so ago)
Living room/dining room/stairs (with cathedral ceiling and open to stairs): off-white
Family room/kitchen: taupe (or what I call the Wendy's frosty color)
Bathroom (powder room): gold yellow (keep or change?...I was thinking of changing this to go with the taupe color palette?)
Laundry room: off-white (never painted this room but needs to be painted)

2nd floor includes:
Master Bedroom: off-white (never painted this room - keep white or change?)
2nd bedroom: girls room, half white/half bright pink with hand painted flowers bordering middle of the room (I am assuming this room needs to be made neutral?)
3rd bedroom: very light lilac (I think this room can stay the same as it is looks like a cool white lilac? Keep or change?)
Bathroom: seafoam green (I always loved this muted green color...very spa-like...I need to repaint to touch it up, but keep same color?)

I want good flow to the house. I am terrible at home decorating! I was told that if I went with a color palette that would help me. I think if you base it on any of my current colors, I would keep the Frosty taupe color in the kitchen/family room and then revise others to go with it. But what goes with it?

Note: House has honey oak wood throughout and cream color carpeting (all carpets will be replaced as well). Full bathroom has a white neutral linoleum. Kitchen/entryway/powder room have glossy cherry laminate floors.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comments (10)