SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexandra_fisher

Ugly, mismatched kitchen - facelift on a very tight budget

Alexandra Fisher
3 years ago

We just bought a new home and the kitchen is awful. The house needs some other work that truly can’t be put off but we won’t be doing a “real” remodel for another 4-6 years. I can’t handle the kitchen the way it looks now (I’ll try to attach some picture). Given the amount of time I spend in the kitchen I need to do something with it now. The cabinets are low quality but structurally sound, flat wood panels that are painted white. The countertops are newer solid surface or quartz (possibly granite) but pattern is ugly. The backsplash is newer too but it clashes with the countertops (and everything else). The floor is glued down laminate tiles. I’m not sure what is under the tiles though. The paint doesn’t match anything. Don’t even get me started on the appliances. Im not a fan of black appliances in general and thes particular ones look especially bad. I’d love to replace the appliances but that could be pricey. Particularly since I plan to replace them in 5ish years with appliances that suite my style and love of cooking not to mention that any appliances we will buy when we remodel are unlikely to fit in the existing kitchen (we had a SubZero fridge and 6 burner gas Viking in the house we are leaving). I know gas vs electric is a personal preference but mine is gas...and we will be running a gas line in to switch that over when we remodel although I have no idea where the stove will end up being once walls start coming down to start over fresh. The woodwork is low quality and doesn’t work with the white trim in the rest of the house. I’d thought that painting the walls and trim would be a good start but don’t know where to go from there? We definitely can’t afford to re-face all of the cabinets right now. I’m not sure what we could do with them though other than painting them. But I can’t even imagine what color we would go with considering all of the other mismatching things. I’m assuming new hardware for the cabinets is necessary. I‘lol have to figure out the cabinet dilemma first though. I‘m at a loss here. I can’t even imagine what I would need to do to make the kitchen livable for me in short order. I can’t stand any of it. Pleased help!

Comments (81)