SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_laite

Hot spots with hydronic radiant floor heat.

David Laite
3 years ago

Several years ago, I built an addition onto my house, which includes a 14 x 24 family room. The room is heated by a separate (third) zone that I installed off of a gas fired, hot water boiler. I ran two loops through each bay beneath the floor with Hepex Plus, snapped into their extruded aluminum transfer plates. The transfer plates are screwed into a 3/4" plywood subfloor, with 3/4" oak strip flooring on top. Additionally, a layer of Reflectix is stapled up under the tubing and transfer plates, for increased efficiency. The water is regulated with a Watts inline temperature control, set at 120F. The water runs out through the system, and typically returns at 100F, depending upon the day.

So with the nuts and bolts of the system explained, I began watching one of our two cats, Lucy. She sits in the same place when that zone is calling for heat, and my wife said that it burns her feet. The rest of the floor is fine, and at 65F with radiant heat, it's quite warm. Most people complain of cold spots, but this thing is super efficient, even though I think that I should roll back the temp a bit. I don't have a floor temp sensor, just a smart wall mounted thermostat.

Comments (5)