SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahsocal

Tangerine Inspiration Needed!

sarahsocal
3 years ago

Hello all. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Our satsuma tree is just finishing its every other year cylce of production like a gazillion tangerines. We have eaten plenty (no scurvy here). Inflicted them on neighbors (I think they are now regifing them).

And yet we still have dozens on the tree.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for uses. We went the cocktail route but both the margaritas and vodka drinks were not great.

Help??

Comments (36)

• plllog
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You can freeze the juice and the zest, and maybe even whole.

if you have a recipe for a citrus juice cake (e.g., fresh lemon, key lime) you can use up several in that.

Are you up for marmalade? If you're not set up for canning (new jars seem to be in short supply), you can reuse whatever jars you have and keep it in the fridge. Make a big batch to ‘foist’ on your neighbors. Or make one sweet batch, and one smoky.

You could try doing them like compressed lemons.

But really, if you don't want to work so hard, you could take them to just about any food pantry. There are sure to be lots of folks wanting to stave off the scurvy too.

sarahsocal thanked plllog
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Feel free to ship as much as you like to me!! Satsumas are by far my favorite type of citrus and I consume them in vast quantities when they are in season (already had 3 today), which is all too short. To have a tree of my own would be heaven :-)

sarahsocal thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Related Discussions

unknown tangerine, need help identifying

Q

Comments (6)
    I thought they were completly different fruits. hmm. learn something new each day. reguardless, I still want to know what fruit I have... prior to waiting multiple years for it to fruit. Its only about 14" tall and it is a seedling. vigurous grower too, puts out new growth like crazy. at least 3" taller in the 2 months I've had it.
    ...See More

Need some help to make my dwarf Tangerine to bloom.

Q

Comments (2)
    your tree will do best with a 5-1-3 ratio feed but yours is good. Your tree is to small to hold fruit. If my tree of that size flowers I will break the fruit off so the tree puts energy into twig growth. My best guess is your need a bigger pot and more feed. The light over head looks good. My setup for growth below. get 16 hours of light.I pull air through the root base 2-7 times a week. 7 times weekly after watering down to 2 times weekly when the soil is dry just before the next watering. Tree is 37 inches tall and about 8 months old since the first leaves came out from the grafted bud. It has flowered and all the fruit has dropped because the tree can not supply the needed energy for the fruit. If the fruit had held on I would have removed it. I feed the tree full strength Miracle Gro 24-4-16 and add a little 28-0-4 to up the nitrogen get close to 32-8-12. I flush the soil every other feeding to get rid of excess of any thing that builds up like salt. The soil runs about 70F and the foliage about 80F. 6b Steve
    ...See More

Have a 5 ft 13 year old Tangerine Tree in Michigan needs a new home!

Q

Comments (6)
    I hope you find it a home. I would try Craig's list. I have re-homed many items including a chicken ;-). If you list it as free, you will get lots of interest. The thing is that you will need to select someone who knows what they're doing. It would be a shame to lose that tree.
    ...See More

Question about Clementine Cake

Q

Comments (17)
    The two piece cheesecake pans don't have a spring latch. They're just plain pans. I'm following Olychick's advice and looking for the springform. Springforms (in good shape) are leakproof. That's the whole point of them. Tomorrow, I should have minions, so I'm putting it off until then. I've made similarly eggs and almond flour cakes in two piece tube pans, which are much leakier than cheesecake pans. It's not the lack of flour that's the issue--a regular butter cake made with flour is too runny for a two piece pan--it's whether the clementines themselves make the batter too runny. Thanks, everybody!
    ...See More
  • bbstx
    3 years ago

Are clementines and tangerines and satsumas interchangeable? I love this cake by Nigella Lawson.

sarahsocal thanked bbstx
  • plllog
    3 years ago

Certainly interchangeable enough for cake! Especially since it's measured by weight. Though, it's not really a cake cake. But it sounds divine! Just taste to make sure it's sweet enough, and withhold a little sure until you're sure it won't be too sweet.

sarahsocal thanked plllog
  • Olychick
    3 years ago

Clementines are seedless, which is what I use in the Nigella Lawson cake, so if your oranges aren't seedless, be sure to seed them after you cook them (easiest). The recipe has perfect sweetness as far as I'm concerned, but if your oranges aren't naturally sweet then take that into account.

sarahsocal thanked Olychick
  • Olychick
    3 years ago

Here's a link with a discussion we all had about Nigella's cake (and others) https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2506263/nigella-s-clementine-cake#n=14

• Islay Corbel
    3 years ago

Plllog tell me what is a cake cake? 🤣🤣🤣

sarahsocal thanked Islay Corbel
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

I go through the same when we have a good fruit year, starting with rhubarb in the Spring.

You could segment, freeze on a sheet pan, then zip-lock. Add to green juices or smoothies.

Or dehydrate. I'm in the middle of a big citrus and veg juice project. Just about halfway through my big box of citrus. (holiday gift)

I have slices in the dehydrator and segments in the oven. My oven starts at about 100ºF. But a good temp is 120. About 6-8 hours with the fan on for chewy half dehydrated. (they need to be frozen). The slices in the dehydrator are running at 135º and should be done after 12-14hours.

The top pic is an Etsy seller. She made some gorgeous garlands and tree ornaments for the holidays. Lower right is immune boost freezer pops. Tangerine, golden beet, ginger/ turmeric root, pepper blend, matcha, oat milk.. That is my third batch. Trying different blends.

Weird color green but tastes good.

Here is a Food52 recipe for drying. Link, HERE ...or google image 'dehydrating tangerines'.

I've only made cumquat marmalade. It was really good. Jacque Pepin has a good method for tangerines.

sarahsocal thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    3 years ago

Google dried tengirine skin. Many cooking and other uses.

dcarch

sarahsocal thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

Oh, the freezer pop sleeves are thick food grade. Easy to rinse and re-use. They are from a freeze dried cup-a-soup project.

sarahsocal thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Why not juice them?

I love fresh squeezed tangerine juice and I don't even need to use a juicer for my fruit (Ponkan) since it's so soft and easy to squeeze.

You can freeze the juice as well, as stated above.

sarahsocal thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • sarahsocal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions. They are indeed seedless.

I will have to take a look at the thread about the non-cake cake.

I was really bummed that the cocktails didn't work. Somehow the tangerine juice wasn't strong enough to hold its own.

• plllog
    3 years ago

LOL! IC, anything shaped into a disc, or patted together like s mudpie, can be called a cake. I've made almond flour and egg cakes. They can be feather light and lovely, but a lot of people have trouble with them. See in the linked thread that this recipe isn't very forgiving. A cake cake is just a standard flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder kind. Egg rising cakes are finicky though at least with flourless you’re not fighting gluten. This one does have BP, though. I'm going to have to make it to see what that does. ;)

i love reading this recipe. I hear Nigella speaking. So many celebrity recipes aren't even read by the named author, let alone made or written. This one sounds like it could be a transcript of a demo by Nigella.

• Islay Corbel
    3 years ago

Thanks! Nigella's pretty reliable.

• sarahsocal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok, so I checked out the recipe and must admit that the idea of pureeing the whole fruit made me pause. . .

• Olychick
    3 years ago

Once you have them cooking and your house smells like heaven, you'll just have to go on faith that the pureed fruit (skins and all but the seeds) is going to make one of the best desserts you've had. It's better the next day imo but still delicious once it's cooled the first day.

• plllog
    3 years ago

That's where the type of tangerine becomes more important. Thin skinned (low pith) tangerines with thin membranes should be no issue. I eat the membranes of most tangerines, but I remove it from oranges. Some tangerines are too much like oranges that way. If you'd eat the membranes of your fruit, it should be fine.

• sarahsocal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One more question if you don't mind.

Any thoughts on whether this would work in mini bundt form?

• Islay Corbel
    3 years ago

You can use oranges as well. 2 hours of boiling with reduce any membrane to pulp.

I'm sure if your tins are well prepared it should work.

Did anyone mention sorbet?

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I don’t recall where I read it, but somewhere someone said that they had made the Nigella recipe, or something similar, with oranges and with lemons. In both cases, they removed and saved the peel, then removed and discarded the pith, then proceeded with the recipe boiling the peel and the pulp.

• moosemac
    3 years ago

This cake sounds yummy but what could I substitute for almonds? We have a tree nut and peanut allergy issue. Any ideas?

• sarahsocal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I read reviews of the recipe and some people mentioned using the microwave rather than boiling. Anyone tried that method?

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Sarahsocal, I can’t imagine why anyone would use a microwave. It would take watching. The beauty of boiling is you throw the fruit in a pot of water, get the boiling started, and all you have to do then is watch the water level. Full disclosure: I’m not a microwave fan in general. I screw up everything I try to cook in a microwave.

moosemac, I would try to find a different recipe rather than trying to substitute such an integral ingredient.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

A bit chilly here for frozen treats, but I used to use my abundance of tangerines and papayas to make frozen 'smoothies' that were thick enough to be like sorbet.

• plllog
    3 years ago

Moosemac, elaborating on Bbstx’s answer, eggs and almond flour are a particular thing. Another nut might possibly work, but structurally, anything else is going to be so different there's no point in paying any other attention to the recipe for the cake part. You could use the method of boiling down the tangerines and mix them into a basic cake recipe, but that will give you a different kind of cake. If you do that, beating the eggwhites stiff with a spoon of the sugar, and folding it into the rest of the batter, will help the strength of the structure. Or you could adapt a soufflé recipe, maybe adding some rice flour or starch.

• Lynda (Zn9b/23 - Central CA Coast)
    3 years ago

Our tangerine tree is young so we don't have an abundance yet. A couple of unusual things I do with mine are to cut them in half and stuff them in a whole chicken and make a salt by taking the peel and mixing it with salt, herbs and the juice and then drying it in the oven with a low heat.

• sarahsocal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

bbstx - I think the microwave method was for 2 reasons. First, it is much faster. Second, people were concerned with losing some of the tangerine-ness (??) into the water and/or the cake being too watery. The method seems to consist of halving them and nuking for 5 minutes.

I fully share you dislike of microwaves. Mine is pretty much for heating milk for coffee, melting butter or popcorn!

• bbstx
    3 years ago

This is what they would look like if I tried to use the microwave. HA!!!

• Olychick
    3 years ago

"I don’t recall where I read it, but somewhere someone said that they had made the Nigella recipe, or something similar, with oranges and with. lemons. In both cases, they removed and saved the peel, then removed and discarded the pith, then proceeded with the recipe boiling the peel and the pulp."

Nigella mentions on the website with the recipe that she sometimes also uses lemons. We had quite a debate about whether she uses lemons and tangerines or lemons alone. The wording on the site was ambiguous. (I think that was what we debated).

I think the people mentioning using the microwave surely mean they put the oranges in a bowl of water and cook in the microwave, not that they just microwave the oranges.

• sarahsocal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Link to info re microwaving below. Sounds like they just cut them in halves and microwave (no water) for 5 min. I would worry that boiling them would make the cake too liquidy?

Micro Tangerines

Some of the comments:

Beatriz I.422 days ago

Microwaveing clementines is definitely much better than boiling them. I’ve made this cake two times the first time I boiled and the batter came out very loose and wet and made for a kind of a course cake. I just made it in again today microwaving the clementines and the cake was soft fluffy and airy. I’ll make this again but I will definitely keep microwaving.

Anonymous430 days ago

Dont boil the clementines! I followed previous advice in the reviews and cut the clementines in half and microwaved for 5 minutes. I also mixed everything in the same mixer because that’s what nigella did in her video. I didnt use a springform, just a regular pan with parchment paper on the bottom and it came out just fine. The cake was perfect!!! The only thing I’d change next time i make it is to slightly reduce the sugar and see how it turns out. Make this recipe u wont regret it!

• sarahsocal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Me again. Happy Saturday!!

So my tangerines are boiling away but I am concerned. Everyone raved about it making your house smell amazing. Not so here. At all. Now I am worried that my tangerines are duds (guess that would explain why no one wanted more!).

Any thoughts? I am reluctant to waste the almond flour and eggs if the tangerines are not good. I figured I might go ahead an finish the boiling and then puree and reassess.

Anyone have any other great recipes that use almond flour? I now have an abundance of it!!

• plllog
    3 years ago

I have some limequats which are very juicy and very sour. Delicious, but with a limit. I thought maybe with a lime and/or tangerine to make up the weight and take the edge off the sour, but I can’t get motivated to start...

• sarahsocal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I admit it - I chickened out!! It wasn't just that it didn't smell fabulous, in fact it kind of smelled bad. Sort of bitter.

But I am considering buying some oranges at the store and trying with those.

So now I need to use up tangerines AND almond flour. Sigh.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

If you're going to buy citrus to try it, it kind of defeats the purpose of trying yours in the recipe! But if you're going to, don't buy oranges, buy Clemetines. If you do try it, maybe by making it with Clementines as the original recipe calls for, you'll see how delicious it is and it will give you a fair comparison if you then make it with your home grown fruit.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Well, most of the talk has been about cake, but how about a savory dish using tangerines, like Tangerine Beef. There are recipes all over the internet, but I like the one from Epicurious.

You could make candied tangerine peel to snack on or use as a decoration on baked goods too.

Annie

sarahsocal thanked annie1992