Do you have a fudge fix?

Sooz

My cousin told me she made the recipe for Fantasy Fudge--you know, the one that's on the jar of that marshmallow stuff--and it's her new favorite recipe. Today, I made some for a dear friend (and used my candy thermometer for precision). I used butter.

A small bit of taste testing this evening was delicious! I added some pink Himalayan salt to the top of half the pan--very nice!

The fudge came out velvety and smooth and tasted oh-so-good, but it does seem to have an "oily" bottom. The top is fine, as are the sides when I've cut the pieces--not oily at all.

Is there a fix for this? I currently have half of the fudge sitting on paper towels to try and absorb things, and the other half of the fudge is still in the 9 x 13 pan. Would putting the fudge in the refrigerator help to solidify that buttery stuff?

I'm awaiting your suggestions!

Thanks and smiles,

Sooz

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bragu_DSM 5

have you tried a crumble crust of soda crackers or graham crackers?

Save     Thanked by Sooz
Sooz

I've never thought of that for fudge! Thanks for the idea.

Save    
annie1992

sooz, that's the recipe I use and I've only gotten the oily bottom from buttering the pan generously (maybe too generously, LOL) but not usually from the fudge itself. I also use butter, last time it was unsalted Kerrygold.

I've also found that if I take those pieces and turn them upside down on a rack, they "dry out" a little.

My Christmas fudge is all gone, I gave it away right after Christmas, I don't dare keep the stuff around. It's like a drug, I'm addicted, and if it's here, I'm going to eat it. No willpower, none at all.

Annie

Save     Thanked by Sooz
chloebud

sooz, this recipe's likely very similar and the one I've used for as long as I can remember. I haven't had the oily issue or an explanation for it. I just thought maybe you could compare the recipes. I call this "Christmas Fudge" since I pretty much only make it that time of year. I've never used a thermometer for this. The 8 minutes at a low boil never fails me. I only lightly butter the pan...no problem. You can also line the pan with parchment and just lift out the fudge to cut. Like Annie said, it's dangerous to have around. Very creamy-dreamy.

ETA - The salt on top sounds good!

Christmas Fudge

2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 5-oz. can evaporated milk
1 12-oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Nestle's for this)
1 7-oz. jar marshmallow creme
1 tsp. vanilla
Optional: 1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts or pecans

Combine sugar, salt, butter and evaporated milk in heavy-bottomed pan. Bring to low boil over medium heat, stirring. Continue cooking and stirring at low boil for about 8 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips, marshmallow creme, vanilla and nuts. Stir until well combined (all white streaks of marshmallow cream are gone). Pour into lightly greased 11 x 7 pan. Cool to room temp, cover tightly and chill well. Let fudge sit at room temp for about 30 minutes before cutting into desired size pieces. (It helps to dip your knife/spatula into hot water occasionally and dry it before cutting.)

Save     Thanked by Sooz
sarahsocal

I have used that recipe for decades and will continue.

I don't butter the pan but I do line it with non-stick aluminum foil. Then when it cools, you can lift the entire slab out of the pan. I have found that MUCH easier for cutting.

Long Love Fantasy Fudge!!

Save     Thanked by Sooz
Sooz

Thanks, Annie, Chloe and Sarah--I appreciate the input! Great idea to use the non-stick aluminum foil, too. This stuff is so good that hubby and I are starting to smell like fudge! LOL! We have a (masked) friend coming by later today and hubby will be social distancing as our friend will roll down his car window, and hubby (masked) will be handing him the rest of the fudge. Fantasy fudge or fudge in any of it's incarnations is delicious!!! It's been a while since I've had fudge, and even longer for making it -- until yesterday!

1 Like Save    
chloebud

"...hubby will be social distancing as our friend will roll down his car window, and hubby (masked) will be handing him the rest of the fudge.

Sooz, that's a sure sign you know when fudge is darn good! :-)

Sarah mentioned non-stick foil. I always keep Reynolds non-stick foil on hand. I tend to use parchment paper more often, but the foil would be easier to fit/mold into the pan.

Save     Thanked by Sooz
donna_loomis

When we were kids, Mom made Fantasy Fudge. We loved it, but as I got older my tastebuds yearned for darker chocolate. The recipe I use now satisfies my tastebuds completely. It makes about 5 pounds of fudge, so there is plenty to share with my family.

In a large bowl place:

8 oz. jar marshmallow cream

1/2 lb. butter

2 TBSP Vanilla

2 cups nuts (your choice)

36 oz. Nestle’s semisweet chocolate chips

Butter a large baking pan (about 10”x14”). In a 3 quart saucepan place: 4.5 cups granulated sugar 1 can evaporated milk (12 oz.) Bring to a boil on medium high heat and minutes, stirring often. Continue to boil for 7 minutes. Pour this mixture over contents in bowl and stir until smooth. Spread into baking pan and let set for at least 2 hours before cutting.

Save     Thanked by Sooz
annie1992

Donna, that's basically the Fantasy Fudge recipe I use, but with semi sweet chocolate chips. I often buy the darker chocolate and chop it to use instead of chocolate chips. It melts better than chips too, although my grandkids like the milder milk chocolate. I've also used white chips and maple extract with walnuts, white chips and crumbled Oreos for "Cookies N Cream", white chips and orange extract for Creamsicle and white chips and crushed candy canes for peppermint. I've made a batch of peanut butter, spread it in the pan and made a batch of chocolate to pour over top, making a "two toned" fudge and I've made chocolate fudge and sprinkled the top with chopped Andes candy for chocolate mint. It's super easy to make different flavors too.

How can fudge be bad, LOL? And although my KitchenAid has very ably proven itself to be up to the task of beating fudge, my carpal tunnel won't let me do that any more, so I like the marshmallow cream/chocolate recipes.

I have used the chocolate and sweetened condensed milk recipe but it's...different. It doesn't have the consistency I want for fudge, but it makes awesome truffles.

And, with Valentine's Day coming up, I need to make a batch of AnnT's Brandied Cherry candy, Amanda loves it and I didn't make it at Christmas because there was just so much other stuff. I used to can brandied sweet cherries just to make that candy, but now I just use canned Morello cherries or even maraschino.

Annie

Save     Thanked by Sooz
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life How Will We Live on the Moon? Just Ask ‘The Martian’ Author
In his new book, ‘Artemis,’ Andy Weir geeks out on how homes and cities could one day be built on the lunar surface
Full Story
Most Popular 12 Key Decorating Tips to Make Any Room Better
Get a great result even without an experienced touch by following these basic design guidelines
Full Story
Inside Houzz A New Houzz Survey Reveals What You Really Want in Your Kitchen
Discover what Houzzers are planning for their new kitchens and which features are falling off the design radar
Full Story
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More
We design functional homes for busy professionals who crave space to disconnect from their routine & unwind. Our... Read More