SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aussieplants77

Monstera Albo cutting in trouble...

Aussie Plants
3 years ago

Hello! I’m fairly knowledgeable when it comes to house plants but this is my first Monstera Albo, and it’s not behaving like I want it to... I would love some advice on how to save this expensive jerk because right now, it’s on its way out. Argh!

I attempted to water propagate this previously healthy cutting and the stem started rotting, so I cut off the rot, treated it with fungoxide and planted the cutting (with the stem out of the soil) into a chunky aroid mix (a mix of perlite, orchid bark, horticultural charcoal and good quality soil). No more rot, hurray! It had a substantial aerial root that had begun to shoot new (albeit small) growth, so I figured it would be OK in soil like regular Monstera I’ve propagated. I was wrong.

It has been in soil for 2.5 weeks and it’s deteriorating. At first, the white parts began to brown, but now the leaf is wrinkled and the node started to wrinkle today too. It’s clearly thirsty but unable to absorb the water I’m giving it. It’s in an ideal environment: it’s summer here and it is in a warm room, with very bright but entirely indirect sunlight, and there’s a humidifier running nearby. The soil is kept consistently moist but it doesn’t seem to matter.

Do I put it back in water? Try spag moss? Is it doomed to fail? Leave it and up the watering schedule? Thank you in advance for any assistance you’re able to provide!

Comments (8)