SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume

Bilko door *OR* Interior door..which to insulate?

Andre Laplume
3 years ago

I have a finished basement. The room I am working in during COVID has no heat. My little heater does bring the temp up fast but the room looses the heat over time. The heat loss area is around the exterior door that leads to the bilko.

1) I can and will better insulate above the door on the inside.

2) I can insulate the gaps on the bliko...but it feels like insulating around the exterior door may be more bang for the buck. But we do on occasion use the bilko so I want to be able to open the door if necessary.

3) My thought was to get a 4 x8 sheet of foam board (2" thick???). Cover the surface of the exterior door as well as the areas around the door...sides and top. Hopefully I could still open an close the door.

4) I could then weather strip or use pipe foam insulation around the bilko doors as well...but it feels like hitting the exterior door itself would stop most cold from coming in.

Thoughts or other ideas?

This pics show where I'd glue the foam board. again, open to other ideas that would allow egress without too much fuss. The door are used on rare occasion. The door itself is heavy...does not seem to be hollow so I assume its exterior grade.

Insulate w/BAT of spray foam here?

Insulate w/foamboard here?

insulate w/foamboard here:

perhaps use pipe foam or similar to insulate bilko?

Comments (2)