SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibrahim_madrugacavalcanti

Need help - Jade plant with leaves falling off (overwatering?)

Ibrahim Madruga Cavalcanti
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hey there everyone!

I need some help with my Jade plant. I bought it some two months ago, and put it on my window sill, where it catches a lot of morning sunlight.

I used to water it once or twice a week, mainly because of the temperature and the direct sunlight it was getting (I live in a tropical Am/As climate and so I thought it'd need a bit more watering). However, around two weeks ago I noticed the outer edge of some of its leaves becoming brown/black, and those leaves then proceeded to fall off. Thinking this ought to be need for water, I gave it some more, pouring the water directly on the soil, near its roots.

This did not help, and the leaves continued to fall off. As I researched some more on the internet, I found this actually could be overwatering, especially because most of the water I had been pouring seemed to stay in the pot - I noticed very little coming out from the bottom. I was made aware of the risk of root rot, so last week I unpotted the plant for two days, thought it was enough and then I put it back in the same pot.

The situation didn't really improve, so I unpotted it this morning again.

My questions are, based on the photos:

1) What should I do - are these roots salvageable? How do I know they can recover?

2) Can the plant hang on unrooted for three days while the roots get a breather?

3) Should I remove most of its roots?

(PS: I live in Northeastern Brazil, so there's a lot of sunlight year round, and temperatures here tend to stay around 70 ºF - 86 ºF)

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville