SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adorablurr

Jade Plant: Falling over, mushy leaves, but no root rot.

adorablurr
8 years ago

I've had my jade plant for two years. Being silly, I planted it in a large mason jar with rocks at the bottom for "drainage". I used well-draining soil that I mixed myself and watered it every week, and for two years it's been great. It grew a lot, although it got top heavy, and I was able to prune it a lot to make it branch out.

Within the past couple of months, however, it started to get really top-heavy. Some of the leaves were getting mushy, so I cut back on the watering a little bit. There were other leaves at the base of the plant that were drying out and falling off, but I wasn't too concerned about those because they were older leaves.

I decided it was time to repot. As you can see, my jade hasn't branched out recently, and some of the leaves are mushy. Although I read on these forums that watering once a week is too much, I found that my jade was bone dry after one week after watering.. with no root rot visible. I give it 1/4 cup of water once a week - and it's been fine until the weather started getting colder these past few weeks (I live in Toronto).

Other than propping up the branches with chopsticks, what should I be doing to help this jade plant out?

Comments (13)