SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deva33atlanta

large jade suffering from root rot... HELP!!!

deva33 Z8 Atlanta
10 years ago

I got this beautiful jade about 2 years ago from my mother. She had a huge one that she had to break up into multiple jades (it was just too big to have indoors and it gets too cold in the winter to leave it outside). Of all the new "babies" this was my favorite and I claimed it! But now it seems to have a bad case of root rot extending to the stems. I have clipped to two stems that were showing rot and had to cut the entire root system. I kept cutting and cutting and only got to healthy tissue once all the roots were gone :-(

I then dusted it with cinnamon and potted it in fresh soil. Miracle Grow Cactus Soil. That was about a week ago. For some reason today I felt it wasn't recovering and decided to pull it out of the soil and check on it. As I thought, it was still rotting. So I cut it again! Which are the pics you see here. I have it in a tall vase with rocks in the bottom so it wont fall over and I'm planning to let it callus this time before trying to repot it.

So... my question is... Am I doing the right thing? Is there something else I should do? Should I cut it so it has a flat bottom to callus and not this pointy thing? I really love how the two trunks meet and form this beautiful V shape, and if I cut the bottom flat I'm afraid it will need to be split in two. I am also considering pruning the branches to ensure there is no rot there that I'm not seeing, but I'm afraid that will leave so much tissue exposed and will really shock the jade.

I've also read how some people prefer to root in water, some like to root in soil, and some just leave it out until it shows some root growth and then plant it. For such a large piece which method is best?

I have several small succulents and they are all healthy, but this one is my favorite and I will be so sad if I lose it. Please help!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!