SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k8keight

Jade Tree Root Rot

Kate
7 years ago

Hello garden forum,

I live in Connecticut, and was gifted this Jade tree (pictured below). My uncle grew it from a leaf many years ago. He has quite a few of them. This particular one wasn't doing so great, so he left me have it hoping I could figure out how to save it. He gave me one other a few years ago, and it was doing great. - It recently started dropping healthy leaves. I ordered Bonzai Jack succulent mix, and plan on repotting it in a few days along with this new sick one.

The new jade (pictured) had another trunk that had gone quite squishy. I decided to cut it off, and it revealed this black squishy nastiness. I'm guessing it's root rot. There's also little white bugs in the soil. I'm guessing fungus gnats.

I'm not sure if the roots remaining are healthy or not. I started cutting out the rest of the black, and this is what I'm left with so far. I'm afraid to cut too much? I would like to save the trunk, and not just make little cuttings. I already have many of these, and this tree is just too special to scrap.

Do any of you think there is a way I can save it? Should I cut more of the roots off? Can I cut them ALL and still have it root new roots? This is where I'm finding less information on the internet. Could I in theory, make a clean cut an inch above the root stalk, clean through the trunk, and then have that root in time?

The photos are before I started cutting with the black mold still in the tree, during showing the brown squishy trunk, and currently showing white trunk. Did I cut enough?

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting