SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reigncrow

Wit's end re cooktops

reigncrow
3 years ago

Can anyone recommend an electric oven without an overly nanny-fied top? We've mainly had gas, but have recently been forced to buy/use electric appliances. We once made the mistake of buying a high-end Samsung cooktop which got Consumer Reports' top rating. It was horrific - burners cycled off and on - couldn't boil water - a plethora of other problems. We ditched it after a couple of months at horrific expense (acquired propane - got a Bluestar). Now we're faced with replacing an electric oven in another situation, and I was tempted to get the old-time coil burners, thinking that would ASSURE it would get hot - only to discover the godawful "Sensi-Temp" technology forced down the consumer's throat, which keeps the appliance from cooking food. I don't want to replace huge amounts of cookware with "induction-friendly" stuff, so I'm wondering if there's ANYTHING out there that will actually boil water and cook food without "helping" you "be safe"? In other words, an oven for grownups and serious cooks? Does looking for high wattage as such help, or have the bureaucrats figured out how to neutralize that "advantage" in EVERY context? I would be grovelingly grateful for any advice or help - I really, really don't want to waste another four-figure sum on a piece of junk.

Comments (41)