SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emily_basile13

ok. I messed up. there's no going back but I need help

Emily Baz
3 years ago

I took down a wall between the kitchen in the family room and rather than doing it the correct way , I had the contractor just install new red oak perpendicular to the rest of the flooring and stain it. Oddly , the stain looks very close to the original color on the right side but is too light on the left. The contractor says that that is due to the variation in the wood and he can't restrain it. He pretty much wiped his hands of it. Since then I have gotten several estimates from flooring contractors that range from refinishing the entire first floor so the color is uniform to replacing those perpendicular strips of wood and sanding them and then screening the entire first floor. The first floor is huge : a main foyer, living room , dining room , family room , and kitchen. All hardwood floors (with the exception of the kitchen and those new planks ) are in beautiful shape. Does anyone have a suggestion how I might remediate this problem ? I feel as though it's an eyesore but I hate the thought of removing all the furniture for three or four days and spending anywhere between 3000 $ and $7000. Thanks. Pictures will show disparity between the right and left planking. One flooring contractor I spoke to told me that the contractor who took down the wall used red Oak and should have used white oak. The picture third from left shows left side of room and the picture second from left shoes right side of room.

Comments (22)