SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_217952326

Cabinet Durability Comparison?

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Would anyone share insight regarding durability and how long various cabinets have lasted? No doubt It's based on subjective/anecdotal experience, but with enough hive input, this could be a useful assessment.

Before I buy cupboards, I hope to find a good value for the price -- as well as lasting results. It's environmentally wasteful to have to rip out and replace, not to mention more expensive in the long haul.

From my experience, cabinet salespeople want to jam cabinets everywhere, and include all the expensive features. I'm not a luddite but some of the features seems like overkill that will wear out. I may rent my house in the future, so I'd like something to withstand fingerprints and reasonable traffic. I see Shiloh and Waypoint are mentioned as midrange options? A cabinet seller recommended to me sells JSI cabinets, which I don't see mentioned much on Houzz. What about IKEA with Semi Handmade doors? Could anyone comment on if these makers have held up for a year or longer? I assume most people turn to Houzz to plan a project and might not stick around to offer post-mortems, but it's worth an ask.

@The Cook's Kitchen generated a helpful cost analysis, and with any luck it could be possible to consider durability as a metric. It's what I wish Consumer Reports could provide. Thanks in advance; I'm grateful for this community and its insight!

Attached is my kitchen in a small 1960s beach bungalow with a funky zinc-like counter I plan to keep. I'm drawn to grey stain finishes but might opt for white paint if I can find a reasonable option that is not a super glossy. High gloss white finishes look nice in modern settings but wouldn't fit here, plus I'd like the option to re-paint if I want a change in years to come.

Comments (8)