SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tuesday_carter

Joanns? stay or be gone?

I read this morning in some business news forum that Joanns is on very shaky ground . If true, it should not be surprising.

For years they have left the real sewing community behind and catered to activities that require little or no skill.

The stores are full of craft stuff and fleece and the are far and few between, at that.

I just can't imagine that the pattern publishers and the machine dealers will be having a good future.

I keep reading about how many people bought machines in this past year, but I doubt that those machines are getting used for very much.

I have also seen articles about how what a great time it is to learn to sew.

I have never seen a more troubled time to shop for sewing essentials than the present day! And, I have been sewing for a very long time.

I call nonsense on that, too.

Then you see these silly articles about someone who is making this little silly this or that and they claim to be a sewing diva and they are promoted as someone who is doing something real.

More nonsense!

Most localities in this country have no where to buy the most basic of sewing notions or fabric. That is not conducive to the continuing of home sewing.

People may want to find another use for those machines after the mask making frenzy is over, but they are going to find that it is not easy to get supplies and the fabrics are just horrid. Also, there is a learning curve involved.

Other than the far and few between Joanns, there is not much else out there.

One poster previously asked that others tell us about the fabric stores that they find near to them. Apparently, there are not many, as evidenced by the replies.

I know that these are hard times for all retailers, but Joanns has been it's own worst enemy since before Covid.

And, they have been the only game in town for most and not many towns, at that.

It came to my attention that, before all of this happened, the Joanns company was transitioning to be more of a maker place where they would provide the use of machines in the store and be able to sell you the supplies that you would need. I was under the impression that this was to include some of the craft actvities as well as sewing. The reasoning was that the young urban folks who live in small spaces would flock to a sewing place where they could learn and use machines and spaces that they have no room for in their small condos and such. They were taking an aim at that generation that craves "experiences" and like to take classes and has some disposable income. It was to be more a matter of going to a public space and participate with others. We all know what happened to gathering socially. So, there goes that.

I am not certain but I think that one of them in this big metro area here did that transition. I never heard much about it after that. I was expecting a big roll out with the different direction and I expected that the local store would be revamped. But, none of that happened. My local store just got worse and worse and worse until it was already almost useless before Covid.

Has anyone here actually been to one of these transitioned stores?

I would be interested in anyones thoughts, ideas, or opinions about Joanns.

Hard times for sure.

Comments (15)