SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stjoe56

floor discussion for juggling $ in the air I want to thank everyone wh

3 years ago

I want to thank everyone who took time to answer my query. Though I must admit the horse discussion and genetics were slightly off topic.

Our major issue is that my wife and I am juggling a number of financial balls in the air. The money we spend in one area affects the amount we can spend in other areas. We don’t have a total budget but we do have an upper limit of $75,000 for both the kitchen, the apartment, and the master bathroom.

As we all know expenses can rapidly expand upward.

Take appliances. It comes with a 36 inch gas cooktop. We hate gas and we are replacing it with a 30 inch induction. This means we have to replace the granite. If we replace the granite on the cooktop, we might as well replace the granite on the sink island. So do we use the $2500 blah granite or the $7000 beautiful granite.

If we replace the the sink island top, we might as well install replace the sink and faucet to one we want. (Between $400 - $800.

Then there is the cost of the refrigerator, new cooktop and washer/dryer. Those suckers ain’t cheap either. By the time we install a Bosch refrigerator and GE profile induction we are talking $5,000. And a good compact washer dryer combo is about $2,000+

The master bathroom needs work. it has a tub that waste a lot of space, a shower smaller than the 2nd bathroom, and is way too dark. Numerous kitchen and bath places have told us to expect a cost between $40-$50K.

The unit’s color combination also needs changing. As I said the floors are a grey. All of walls are painted in a light grey and the kitchen cabinets are a dark color except for four white cabinet doors underneath the cooktop.

So to lighten up do we (1) resend the floor for $6000, (2) paint the walls ($2,000), (3) repaint the cabinet doors for $3500/replace the doors for $6,500 or some combination thereof.

To make the kitchen more user friendly for us we need to install a number of pull out shelves etc, Even if get our son-in-law to install them, they are expensive!

Storage space is somewhat at a minimum, so we may need to install a pantry. The closet extends a lot further back that the opening.

And don't forget handles, knobs and the like

So cost are rapidly escalating. Many of you might tell us to do a little bit at a time. Easier said than done. We learned the HARD way to get as much work done before you move it, otherwise your home may quickly become unlivable due to dust, noise, etc. We have been there done that.

Comments (8)