SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Floor guy says GLUE. I wanted FLOAT. Which best for concrete slab?

Mittens Cat
4 years ago

After many months of trying to decide which way to go on our flooring, I finally purchased an engineered floor (PanTim's Genuine French Oak in Pilsner) and it arrived at our remodel site today. Our GC's flooring guy, who I've been communicating with on and off for months, opened one of the packages and laid out a few planks. He pronounced it "very good quality." Then he surprised me with a strong piece of advice: glue it, don't float it.

This, after months of telling him I wanted to float the floor. Granted, originally we were looking at Junckers (solid floor with clip system--meant to float), then Kahrs (engineered with a "click-lock" system--meant to float). But the instructions for the floor I ultimately purchased clearly states it's OK to float it. I confirmed that with the company's operations director as well. And the owner of the flooring store where I bought it. So I was really taken aback by flooring guy's strongly worded recommendation. Not just because I like the feel of a slight give (we loved our floating Junckers hardwood we had for 20 years) but because I've done my best to avoid glue whenever necessary (the Genuine French Oak has adhesives within, obviously, but still gets the ECO seal of approval).

Flooring guy has very high recco's and has been nothing but great, patiently waiting for the job to begin. But his sudden switch really threw me. I guess I should have known when I didn't hear back from him last weekend when I asked which underlayment he thinks is best.

His overall rationale: gluing down will put less stress on the boards so the floor will last longer. Floating is a bit more of a gamble in his opinion.

My GC thinks I should heed flooring guy's advice since he knows his stuff. But I also know glue will add a lot to the cost compared to underlayment.

Could it be he just doesn't have the skills to float it correctly? Or am I being paranoid?

Flooring pros, help?

Comments (50)