SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_931347

Trane Xt80 Furnace - Looking to add Heat Pump

J F
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My 5 year old Trane TUD1B080A9H31B (XT80) Furnace is serving me really well. We use a Honeywell Lyric T6 Pro to control it. We're adding solar and it makes sense to add a heat pump to reduce our natural gas usage and also add cooling as a bonus. We have space limitations for the outdoor condenser and I'll have to place it on the side of my house facing my neighbors kitchen window (at least it's not their bedroom) so the side discharge models are attractive. Of course, I'll match the condenser with the recommended coil from the respective manufacturer.

I live in Los Angeles near the coast as a reference for what temperature ranges I'm living in. Furnace is sized well in a 1940's house with upgraded windows, doors, r40 attic insulation, no wall insulation.

Here are my questions:

1. I originally, thought sticking with Trane and looked at the XV19. However, it looks like this model is variable speed and my furnace/blower is single speed. Will this work together? It also looks like if this did work, that I would have to use the EXPENSIVE Trane Communicating Thermostat.

2. So then I looked at the single speed XR16. Will this work? My main concern with this model is the noise. Is this condenser considerably louder than the XV19?

3. The Bosch BOVA IDS 1.0 or 2.0 seems will work with a single speed blower. Will this work? It also doesn't require a communicating thermostat. Only issue with this one is the size of the condenser being rectangular v upright.

4. The Daikin Fit is also attractive. But... can this be integrated with my furnace? It seems I will have to change to their communicating thermostat as well.

Thanks for your responses and I appreciate your suggestions. I don't want to replace a newer furnace so integration is paramount.

Best,

Jon

Comments (2)