SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_betowt79

Copper tub & curbless shower for resale value

Jennifer B
3 years ago

Currently starting remodels for both bathrooms in our 1900 Victorian Vernacular farmhouse (sounds a lot fancier than it is, lol). We are in a sought-after historic area with mostly cute restored Craftsman bungalows and some Victorians. I'm trying to convince hubby of the resale value of a couple of items I'd like to put in (he's the practical one):
1) Main bath (shared between the "master" bedroom and the rest of the house via the dining room) - We're doing an encaustic cement tile with an Art Nouveau-inspired pattern on the floor. I am insisting on a curbless frameless walk-in shower with linear dfains, but he is balking at the upcharge ($1500 additional - does that sound right??). I say it will be great for resale (likely in just a few years). Help me make my case with hard numbers!
2) Main bath - I want waterjet marble mosaic tile on the walls of the walk-in shower, but obviously that won't be cheap. He's not up on design trends like I am and won't be convinced that it's worth the added cost. Given that we may need to sell again in a few years, my thinking is that it will still be on-trend and worth doing.
3) Ensuite bath in my daughter's smaller room - Want peacock teal glass penny tile on entire floor and coordinating subway tile wainscoting with a nice Nouveau trim chair rail. I want a copper soaking tub with a period-appropriate exposed pipe shower hardware and ceiling-mount copper pipe frame / shower curtain surround. He isn't keen on the tub's price tag, but I argue that not only is a tub crucial for resale, but the copper will make it a statement showpiece that lends period flair. How do I get him on board?
Obviously I also have selfish reasons for wanting these items, but he is not swayed unless he can see the value add and ROI potential. LOL
Honest advice, please? All the better if you have stats or even guesstimates, as it's hard numbers that will convince him. ;-) Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES