SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
c_jm22

Help Construction Scam.

C JM
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We started a build over a year ago. now the construction is taking too long, going on 14 months, surly to hit 16 months. the builder has some show up most weeks, throw some mud on the walls, and that's about it. doesn't respond to emails or phone calls. When we do talk to some one we just get lies. the Work isn't to code or quality of standards. Sub contractors keep sending intent to file liens on our property. We own the land, and the loan is in our name. The builder keeps trying to get us to give him more money, but we are already down to 5% of the project cost left, which well below Texas Property Code says we can hold back. . There is no sign that the house will be completed any time soon, it has looked like this for 6 months with no real improvement. The builder doesn't even put in our selections. Has skipped permits and inspections.

I don't need any Capitan Hindsight to tell me what I should have done. I send Emails where I have no replies. I got a lawyer, though he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to do anything. the contract is really one sided, we should never signed it. Its in Texas so he isn't licensed or bounded. I have contacted BBB, FTC, news outlet, County urban development. (not in City Limits).

Before any one defends him, Every other house in the neighborhood has gone up in 5 to 6 months with no problems, other houses by my builder have started after mine and finished before mine (first to get lawyers). There have been no delays (nothing more they a week at a time), selections were made a year ago. they "break" things as often as they fix them. (install cabinet hardware, every one of them was not level. replace attic trim, cut attic ladder leg). completely non professional (dump debris 100' out in the yard, rags left in the yard, ruts in the mud).

I need to find a solution, this can't keep going on. Need to find a better lawyer? Roll over and take it, let them "steal" $100K from us, and spend another $100K to fix what they won't. Bank don't seem to be to concerned, just going to keep extending the loan, at our expense. The builder is a crook, and is already changing the name so he can keep taking advantage of people. (6 company names I found for the last 6 years, this makes 7). if I put him on the internet he threatens to sue and stop work.

Comments (21)