SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilmoxie68

Please help me understand my house fuse issue

wilmoxie68
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Yesterday we lost some electricity in our house - all of the light switches, an outlet in the living room, the ones in the main bedroom and one in the front bedroom (near the living). The kitchen outlets (fridge, stove, microwave etc) and the laundry light still worked (not sure abt the washer/dryer). In the bathroom the light switch was out but the outlet worked, same with the back bedroom where the electrical panel is.

We have a breaker panel and a fuse panel in our set up; it's an older house. We tried all of the breaker switches and nothing changed, and the power company came out and said everything on their end was fine.

So jump to today, and we start investigating the fuses...one of them looks different and appears to be blown. While talking about it, my SO touched it and very slightly unscrewed it and all of the lights that were out immediately came back on.

Then, we turned off the fuse box switch, removed the fuse in question, turned the switch back on and the lights were STILL on, but the fridge was off. Then, we turned the fuse box back off and put the same fuse back in and turned it back on and everything 'seems' fine now (but of course we have ordered a replacement fuse).

Needless to say we're both very confused about what happened - why the power went out, and whether the fuse is actually blown, why it's working now and started back up when slightly turned etc. Can a fuse be partially blown? Any help/insight would be appreciated, as I am a little nervous at this point. I think the offender may have been using space heaters as that is a variable right before it happened, so now we're wary of using them at all..

Comments (4)