The top five books on your TBR pile right now
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (37)
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
"Throw Away Your TBR List..." article
Comments (5)Like Netla, I try to wait a few days/weeks after I have found a new title and before I buy it. (Most of the time the urge leaves, and most of the time I can wait. Not easy sometimes though... And just discovered adding to the Wish List at amazon! That's a whole new world right there.) I think that the article about the TBR pile had resonated with me as I had been struggling a bit with a small and informal challenge that I had set myself. Numerous other bloggers were implementing the "TBR Challenge" whereby from Jan 01 until Mar 31, one doesn't buy a book or get a new title from the library. You can "only" read what's already in your possession and in your TBR pile. I had been doing ok with that, but then the challenge started to chafe me a bit and so I caved in. Still, I did do the TBR challenge for about 5 weeks, and removed a few (six) titles from the TBR mountain. In doing so, I learned that I am not that fond of limiting what I can read! So - the challenge is no longer an issue (as in I'm off it now), but it was good whilst it lasted. I became more aware of the book selection that I have already on my shelves and I realized how much I loved my local library! And, like Sheri, I have become better at DNFing any titles that aren't working for me. Off with their heads and into the charity pile they go!!...See MoreChoosing your next book
Comments (7)I liked The Help. My entire book club did. It's not great literature, but it is a very satisfying, very human story, about people living through a horrible time that many of them did not recognize as being horrible. As long as you don't expect a novel on the level of To Kill a Mockingbird, I believe you will enjoy it too. Tom (DH) likes everything by Anthony Bourdain. He loved Cook's Tour. As for the book you are stuck on, I have been reading science fiction and fantasy both, ever since I was nine years old, back when girls didn't read that stuff. Here is some heresy: I didn't see what all the fuss was about Time and Again. It didn't seem all that clever to me, or moving, or wonderful in any way. In fact, I thought it was rather dull. Life it too short to read books that don't engage you. Rosefolly...See MoreLongest on the TBR pile....
Comments (24)The "in" thing to do with our Latin textbook...be it First, Second or Third Year Latin, was to cross out Latin and write Confusion. thyrkas If your grandson is still interested, there are a lot of books on Amazon for teaching Latin to children... although speaking it might be hard...many have pronounciation guides, and the opportunity to learn the vocabulary would be a great asset. (One daughter-in-law was a Greek/Latin major at a Jesuit university...so I guess we probably, in this day and age, have one of the most Latin saturated families in the US!) I recently bought a Latin crossword puzzle book...part of my Programming of keeping my mind sharp as I approach the "elder"years I have just finished The Whistling Season by Toig...and the young boy is learning Latin - tutored by the teacher in his one room schoolhouse. "Go to the root." the teacher keeps saying. Three of my four children took Latin...and I feel it really helped their vocabulary. The fourth chose Russian as he was in the honors program and had that choice. But living in a house with 5 who had studied Latin, I think he picked up the vocabulary benefit by osmosis....See MoreYour TBR pile.......what are the top three ?
Comments (30)Just out of curiosity, I checked this thread to see whether I had read any of my so-called top three TBRs, a claim I made last January. It surprised me to find that I happen to be reading one of them at the moment - Fatal Grace by Louise Penny - quite by chance, and only because I had an "empty week" to fill with a quick read before I start my next book club selection. I have not made any effort to get around to the other two. How are the rest of you doing with your TBRs from January?...See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ CALLHow Are You Passing the Time at Home Right Now?
Share your thoughts about how you are coping with stress and staying grateful during this difficult time
Full Story
DECLUTTERING7 Household Items to Get Rid of Right Now
Kick-start your January decluttering by clearing out these things around the house
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHow to Love Your Kitchen More, Right Now
Make small changes to increase the joy in your kitchen while you cook and bake, without shelling out lots of dough
Full Story
LAUNDRY ROOMSTrending Now: The Top 10 New Laundry Rooms on Houzz
Get ideas from the most popular laundry room photos uploaded to Houzz this summer
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN10 Top Tips for Getting Bathroom Tile Right
Good planning is essential for bathroom tile that's set properly and works with the rest of your renovation. These tips help you do it right
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 10 Most Popular Home Entryways on Houzz Right Now
Abundant storage and attractive designs have the Houzz community saving these photos
Full Story
SHELTERING AT HOME4 Ways to Set Up Your Home to Reduce Stress Right Now
Organize your rooms to support working, exercising and relaxing during the pandemic
Full Story
TRENDING NOWThe 10 Most-Loved Living Rooms on Houzz Right Now
See how the designers of these living rooms mixed antiques with new pieces and created conversation-starting layouts
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESGetting the Room Right: Part I
Great Spaces Show How to Avoid the Top 10 Decorating Mistakes
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
Rosefolly z5