SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisoldthing

Paintable Windows for Historically Inspired (But Not Accurate) House

E. T.
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Cross-posted to Old House since I’d love opinion from people who have dealt with windows in Vicorian houses before.

My spouse and I are working with architects to design a small, historically inspired (new old?) home. This will be our first house and neither of us have family members who have gone through the custom build process in the United States, so I have been poring over the advice here for several months trying to get up to speed.

The exterior style that we have pulled the most inspiration from is folk Victorian, although having spent time living in New Orleans our chosen color scheme (below) is more Creole cottage. White trim is out of the question for us.

Because we'll be using new windows (with all the extra bulky trim that seems to entail) and the color scheme is exciting enough as is, we're opting to do matching window casings/sashes. Therefore we need paintable windows. And yes, I do understand this will require upkeep/repainting over the lifetime of the windows.

I've read through many window posts on Houzz comparing different brands but most of the discussions are about the merits of vinyl, aluminum, or clad wood windows. Our architects have provided a list of potential window manufacturers, but I'd love to hear from the window experts or home owners here who might want to weigh in on these wood or cellular PVC options:

PlyGem, cellular PVC exterior w/wood interior

Jeld-Wen, Siteline series wood

Windsor Windows, Pinnacle wood, primed

Pella Architect Series

Marvin Signature Collection, Ultimate

Another possibility may be a millwork company, but I'd love to first get your opinions on the these larger brands so we can narrow our pool of quotes to a few possibilities which we can then compare to the millwork option.

Last but not least, we will of course also be listening to the advice of our builder, but I'd like to be able to enter that conversation with a little more of an informed background.

Thanks for any and all input!

Comments (11)