Movies based on favorite books
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (7)
Related Discussions
Favorite Christmas Movie
Comments (18)Sorry to say this Mike, but I was one of the kids who would try to egg on the other kids into licking the pole. PS stay away from the furnace. One new movie that I've seen the last couple of years is called SILENT NIGHT. Starring Linda Hamilton, it's set at Christmas 1944 during the battle of the bulge. A group of American and German soldiers meet up at a house in the forest. Enemies at first, they slowly become comrades. It's a great movie. John...See MoreFavorite Food Movie
Comments (40)I've watched many a subtitled movie and much prefer it over dubbing. Try it. It doesn't take but a minute or so to get into the story and forget you're even reading the subtitles. Of course, it helps if it's a good movie, and most of the foreign movies that make it to the library are good movies. The only time subtitles bug me is if they use the wrong color of print against the background and it's hard to see, or if they go by too fast. That doesn't happen all that often, though. The only other problem with subtitles is you can't multitask while watching the movie. You have to pay attention. (Sometimes I like to cross stitch while watching tv.) I'm going to look for Year in Provence, but I know it will make me want to pick up and move. Sally...See MoreWhat's your favorite movie?
Comments (73)My favorites not in order...The color purple, Fried green tomatoes, Ordinary people, Terms of endearment, Chicago , most Jason Statham movies, most Bruce Willis movies. I also really like movies with Kathy Bateman, Tommy Lee Jones, and Melissa McCathy. Love quirky comedies like The invention of lying. There are more but that's off the top of my head. Thought of more. ..When Harry meet Sally, Catty shack, Something about Mary. Oh you have to have A Few Good Men on your list!!! Jack Nicholson is one of the stars. Favorite quote..."You can't Handle the Truth"!...See MoreBook, Movie or Both?
Comments (23)It's rarely that movie is as good as a book but sometimes good adaptations happen-and I tend to remember them all since happens not often For example "Girl With a Dragon Tatoo" i liked more as a movie..the non-American version. But I started with a movie, that probably influences things. "The Joy Luck Club" managed to be a great adaptation of the book-and I actually read the book several yeas before watching the movie Mini series of "Pride and Predjudice" are nice adaptation while the movie with Keira Knightly was something I kinda dismissed because to me that wasn't a good adaptation at all. Still, I prefer the book of course. The former Soviet Union movies based on "Sherlock Holmes" are considered the best in all the adaptations of Sherlck Holmes ever made, and won the prize as such-and I totally agree. Of course they filmed just several stories but did it very well. "Alias Grace" did a very fine job; but let me tell you the book is finer...reading it now. Now some books are probably too much of a challenge to ever be interpreted on the screen..I haven't seen one good "Wuthering Heights"..and I really tried. I haven't seen a "Lolita" that comes even close to the book itself. I don't think one can adapt Nabokov successfully. Too many things will go missing. His language is too good and too elusive for that. No Dostoevsky or Tolstoy either,,of course I didn't watch all of these..but whatever I started I just turned off. Very fast. As I was totally obsessed with "Les Miserables" since age 8 (to the point I tried to steal a little bun from a bakery-and succedeed-but that was my first and last attempt of stealing lol..more than I can handle..it was a tiny 3 kopeiks bun but nevertheless)-I tried to watch as many adaptations as possible. Some I enjoyed; but no they don't measure to the book. I couldn't appreciate long passages about monasteries, sewer, Parisian jargon, the battle of Waterloo etc when I was a little girl..but now I find these much more interesting. As it was when I read Fowles "The Magus"..at twenty I was so much into story..and the stories within the story I went through too quick..wars and all.. But now I understand these are actually the best ones there..or maybe they are to me now, since I became older. Generally I think the more complex and well written the book is the harder it will be to translate it I do look forward to adaptations that don't exist yet, or exist but I haven't seen them yet like Löwensköld trilogy by Selma Lagerlöf'..I think there can be a huge potential of making a great movie out of it.. Steven King is an example of an author whose books can be translated very well into visuals. PS remembered one more adatation that was good .."The Name of the Rose". They cut a lot out of it obviously..still, a good movie...See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

TASTEMAKERSHouzz Call: What’s Your Favorite TV or Movie Home?
Movies and TV shows capture our hearts with their settings as well as their stories. Which on-screen houses do you love?
Full Story
MEDITERRANEAN-STYLE DESIGN10 Favorite Features of Spanish Revival Style
How to Get the Warm, Rustic Feel of Spanish-Style Interiors
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESRoom of the Day: As Comfy As a Favorite Pair of Jeans
Faded colors and celestial light give a Florida family room a sun-washed allure
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES7 Favorite Vintage Furniture Sites
Take a Break from Flea Markets and Goodwill and Scour the Web for Unique Vintage Decor
Full Story
ORGANIZING4 Questions to Help You Organize Your Favorite Photos
Organize your keeper photos with a system that's just right for you, whether it's in the cloud or you can hold it in your hand
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHouzz Call: Share Your Favorite Christmas Tradition
Is there one thing you do, watch or eat that heralds the arrival of Christmas? Post a photo and let us know!
Full Story
MOST POPULAROur Favorite Kitchen Storage Ideas Now
Make the most of every square inch with these clever cabinetry solutions
Full Story
ACCESSORIESStyling Basics: 8 Favorite Accessories to Finish Your Space
Here's how to use these simple items to take your room to the next level
Full Story
MATERIALSAre You a Maker? Show Us Your Favorite Tool or Material
Houzz Call: A tool or material can be a maker’s best friend. We’d like to see your favorite — and what it helps you achieve
Full Story
Carolyn Newlen