Movies based on favorite books

Rosefolly

I have heard that there is a movie coming out based on a favorite book of mine, News of the World by Paulette Jiles, due on Netflix in January. I believe some others among us have read it as well. I just read a review and it sounds wonderful. I'm always cautious about movies based on books I loved, but sometimes they are very good. The Queen's Gambit is one example. My fingers are crossed that I will feel the same way about this one.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20201210-news-of-the-world-is-a-beautifully-old-fashioned-western

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carolyn Newlen

The only movie I ever liked better than its book was Dr. Zhivago.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Rosefolly
annpanagain

Sometimes the movie characters are not a bit like I visualise them from the book. I have been surprised when the author is quoted saying they are just as she saw them! I could never equate Margaret Rutherford as Jane Marple in spite of Christie's validation.

Save     Thanked by Rosefolly
Rosefolly

Absolutely, Annpan. Jane Marple is clearly Joan Hickson. Agatha Christie herself even said so once, long ago.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I just saw the Masterpiece Theatre version of "Little Women" and think they did a fine job with capturing the mood of the times, clothing and social constructs. Emily Watson, a seasoned actress, played the role of Marmee very well in my opinion. I had never heard of any of the other actors, but I thought they looked and acted their parts well. This was my mother's favorite book when she was a girl and it was also mine. I could never watch the scenes with Beth without weeping and that has not changed. I liked the way the director brought in Thoreau's pond and Orchard House. Of course, I've seen many other film versions but I thought this one the best. (ca. 2018, I think).

1 Like Save     Thanked by Rosefolly
Carolyn Newlen

I wish I had a nickel for every tear I've shed over poor Beth. I have read the book multiple times and seen several of the movies. The first one I saw was the 1949 version with June Allyson, Peter Lawford, Margaret O'Brien, Elizabeth Taylor, and Janet Leigh.

Save     Thanked by Rosefolly
yoyobon_gw

I enjoyed One For The Money very much. ( Janet Evanovich series 1 )

1 Like Save     Thanked by Rosefolly
vee_new

I think the first Little Women movie I saw (on TV) was the 1933 production, in which Katherine Hepburn played Jo.

Seems interesting that in the latest version none of the parts of the girls are played by American actors/actresses.

Florence Pugh and Emma Watson are English, Eliza Scanlen is Australian and Saoirse Ronan is Irish!

A Look at the Various Movie Productions of the Book

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Tastemakers Houzz Call: What’s Your Favorite TV or Movie Home?
Movies and TV shows capture our hearts with their settings as well as their stories. Which on-screen houses do you love?
Full Story
Decorating Guides Room of the Day: As Comfy As a Favorite Pair of Jeans
Faded colors and celestial light give a Florida family room a sun-washed allure
Full Story