Did the movie do justice to the book ?
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (26)
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Need names of books made into movies
Comments (17)I agree with Jan-the quality of the adaptation is critical. As is, or course, the original book-they are filming Little Children, but the book was so awful I can't imagine wasting time watching it all over again! Little Women with Winona Ryder was well-done In Her Shoes was charming, though I found the book a little cloying Pride and Prejudice has been done twice recently-the 6 hour BBC version is the best, the newer 2 hour theatrical version is good as well. On the other hand, Gwyneth Paltrow's Emma took too many liberites....See MoreGood Books/Bad Movies
Comments (17)They are often totally different, which I think is sometimes necessary, to change what is an interior experience to a moving one. Sometimes the essence of the book is retained very well. But sometimes not and sometimes the movie becomes something totally different. One example of a fail, IMHO, was "The Orchid Thief" which was a movie about trying to turn a book into a movie. I hated the distortion by the movie of what that book was about. I hope Susan Orleans got a hefty check for that one! My dislike for the movie, "And Then She Found Me" caused me to get and read the book by Elinor Lipman. Wowza, not even in the ballpark with the plot of the movie vs the book. However, I didn't much care for the book either. My next attempt will be "Republic of Love" which I sort of liked as a movie but it was sorta weird so I'm gonna try the book by Carol Shields. Two books that I love both the movie and the book are "Dr. Zhivago" which benefits some from the 3D fleshing out of the story, and for me, "The Great Gatsby." The one with Robert Redford, not the newer one. Both books are a totally different experience from the movie, but it is cool to have both the exterior setting and real people living out the experiences in front of you, and then also the experience of their interior lives that you get from the book. In that vein, I liked the movie "Cold Mountain" better than the book. The book got a little too much for me and I didn't have much sympathy for the characters but I did in the movie. Oh and I adore both the book "Auntie Mame" and the movie with Rosalind Russell, even though they are quite different. As a side note, when I was a kid, I ended up enjoying Dr. Doolittle and Mary Poppins as books way better than movies, but the movies did get me into the books. And both Willy Wonka movies were kind of let downs, but the Tim Burton one was especially bad IMHO....See MoreBook, Movie or Both?
Comments (23)It's rarely that movie is as good as a book but sometimes good adaptations happen-and I tend to remember them all since happens not often For example "Girl With a Dragon Tatoo" i liked more as a movie..the non-American version. But I started with a movie, that probably influences things. "The Joy Luck Club" managed to be a great adaptation of the book-and I actually read the book several yeas before watching the movie Mini series of "Pride and Predjudice" are nice adaptation while the movie with Keira Knightly was something I kinda dismissed because to me that wasn't a good adaptation at all. Still, I prefer the book of course. The former Soviet Union movies based on "Sherlock Holmes" are considered the best in all the adaptations of Sherlck Holmes ever made, and won the prize as such-and I totally agree. Of course they filmed just several stories but did it very well. "Alias Grace" did a very fine job; but let me tell you the book is finer...reading it now. Now some books are probably too much of a challenge to ever be interpreted on the screen..I haven't seen one good "Wuthering Heights"..and I really tried. I haven't seen a "Lolita" that comes even close to the book itself. I don't think one can adapt Nabokov successfully. Too many things will go missing. His language is too good and too elusive for that. No Dostoevsky or Tolstoy either,,of course I didn't watch all of these..but whatever I started I just turned off. Very fast. As I was totally obsessed with "Les Miserables" since age 8 (to the point I tried to steal a little bun from a bakery-and succedeed-but that was my first and last attempt of stealing lol..more than I can handle..it was a tiny 3 kopeiks bun but nevertheless)-I tried to watch as many adaptations as possible. Some I enjoyed; but no they don't measure to the book. I couldn't appreciate long passages about monasteries, sewer, Parisian jargon, the battle of Waterloo etc when I was a little girl..but now I find these much more interesting. As it was when I read Fowles "The Magus"..at twenty I was so much into story..and the stories within the story I went through too quick..wars and all.. But now I understand these are actually the best ones there..or maybe they are to me now, since I became older. Generally I think the more complex and well written the book is the harder it will be to translate it I do look forward to adaptations that don't exist yet, or exist but I haven't seen them yet like Löwensköld trilogy by Selma Lagerlöf'..I think there can be a huge potential of making a great movie out of it.. Steven King is an example of an author whose books can be translated very well into visuals. PS remembered one more adatation that was good .."The Name of the Rose". They cut a lot out of it obviously..still, a good movie...See MoreBooks, movies or shows that changed you?
Comments (25)“A Language Older Than Words” by Derrick Jensen. Felt like something written by a kindred soul, really incredible. And he’s alive and can be reached on Facebook! He has a lot of other good books, too. Especially “Thought To Exist in the Wild” and “Dreams”. I also had an astounding experience at a poetry reading when I was in college. Most times readings are pleasant, at best, or thought-provoking, but James Tate’s poetry reading was HILARIOUS. Not in a cheesy jokey way, but in a surreal, absurd, and shockingly silly way. The crazy imagery/scenarios would just build and build until the entire audience (it was a big audience) was roaring with laughter, including me. And I do not generally laugh easily, at least not deep belly laughs (I’m one of those quiet laughers). I don’t even know how he did it because when you just read his poetry on your own it’s pleasant and amusing but not laugh out loud funny! It was a really special experience perhaps once in a lifetime. I feel grateful to have been part of it!...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

EVENTSSee the Vermont House Where Rudyard Kipling Wrote ‘The Jungle Book’
The author penned many works here, including his children’s classic, which Disney has remade into a movie
Full Story
FUN HOUZZ10 Leading-Role Movie Houses
Architecture and interior design steal the show in these 10 house-focused flicks
Full Story
FATHER’S DAYHouzz Call: How Did Your Dad Shape Your Idea of Home?
For Father’s Day, share a memory of how your dad or stepdad taught you about the joy and hard work of maintaining a home
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
The Unofficial Houzz Academy Awards for Movie Homes
Grab a front-row seat as we hand out honors to superb homes featured in 10 flicks. The envelope, please ...
Full Story
ENTERTAININGSimple Pleasures: Movie Night for Film Buffs
In a world of rising cinema costs ... at a time when gathering comes naturally ... small screens are hitting the big time
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLEver Found or Left a Note in the Wall the Way This Couple Did?
The remodeling couple whose note from previous homeowners went viral tell us about their fun find. What’s yours?
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
TASTEMAKERS‘The Intern’: Nancy Meyers on Bringing Movie Interiors to Life
The director of ‘Something’s Gotta Give’ and ‘It’s Complicated’ dishes on how she creates rooms for her characters
Full Story
msgt800