SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osprey31

Can you help identify where water could be coming from?

Steve
3 years ago

Two story colonial (built 2007; patio put in around 2009); when it rains fairly hard, I see a few small trails of water running down the basement wall from under the rim joist, above the sill plate (assuming I have my terminology correct here). I can tell (from the discoloration on the wood in this section of the basement) that this has been going on for a while. This only happens in a roughly 12 foot spot in the basement directly below some first and second story windows in a section of the house that "butts out" into the backyard. An important point here is that there is a stamped concrete patio right up against the house.

A bit pic-heavy of a post, but hopefully it shows the situation. Thoughts on how to correct this issue? I suspect it's either water somehow running down the wall from one of the windows OR is something about the patio wicking water into the basement in some way.

Top of basement wall where the issue is. This area butts up to the brick and stamped concrete.

Another view of the water; I only see water in the basement where the red line is on the exterior pic below.

Outside where patio meets the house. The patio slopes down away from the house. The basement area around where the red line is exhibits the problem

Looking up from the problem area; top of first story windows is flashed and looks sound.

Below is the area where the stamped concrete butts up against the house wall. There was an expansion strip here, but I caulked it all this summer and filled in areas where there was broken mortar between some bricks thinking maybe that was it. There are still some weepholes and I left those alone.

Pic from 2009 when the patio was being installed for reference. Included because I fear/suspect the patio is really the issue.

Comments (5)