SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Anyone not decorating for Christmas?

Oakley
3 years ago

I tried, I really did. Got the tree out, put it up, tried the new beaded garlands which kept slipping off the tree, left the room, came back, took tree down and put everything away.

There's a lighted wreath on the front door and an OU Santa is in DH's office.

Buying online and wrapping gifts have been fun, I always like to do that.

This covid thing and self-isolation, it's zapped me.

Comments (68)

• Jilly
    3 years ago

((Funky)) I’m so sorry for your pain. ❤️

I’m glad you got the deer! They’re really neat. :)

• Related Discussions

Winter vs. Christmas Decor Question

Q

Comments (10)
    Oakley - Don't get me started on amaryllis! I also got started with a kit, probably 15-18 years ago, saw that flower bloom, and was hooked. In terms of refrigeration, I put all new bulbs in individual paper bags in the fridge, mostly in the meat and veggie bins (w/out the meat and veggies, of course). I use the fridge because, if I stored them in our shed, they would sprout faster than I want them to. Here is my main suggestion though, and you can take it for what it's worth. Ordering your own bulbs and planting them yourself for gifts is much more fun - In My Opinion - than buying kits. There's much more color variety and in the long run it's less expensive. Some hints: 1. Use an unglazed terra cotta pot, preferably Italian, very inexpensive and looks better than plastic, and is much heavier and more stable than plastic. And an unglazed saucer, too. Pot size should be 3-4 " greater in diameter than the bulb, as amies like to be rather snug, and center the bulb. 2. Use regular potting soil for container gardening. Amies aren't fussy; they grow in almost anything. I bolster the soil with a little Root Blast, but that's not crucial. 3. Plant the bulb up to its shoulder, so that some of the top protrudes above the soil. 4. Water liberally the first time, and then only when the soil is nearly dry. 5. Place the pot in a sunny location, but when the bloom is about to open, move it away from direct sunlight, which will cause the flower to wilt faster. According to your picture, you've done that. If it's to be a gift, tie a ribbon around the plain pot. What could be prettier! And from your pictures of your gift wrapping, you would create a beautiful present! I now buy almost exclusively from John Scheepers. JS's service is excellent, their selection is very complete, their prices are good, and, in the hundreds of bulbs I've forced over the years, none has ever failed. If I'm feeling flush I may also order a few bulbs from White Flower Farm, whose flowers are just amazing, if a bit pricier. If you look at the WFF catalogue or website, their prices for pre-potted amies are usually at least 2 or 3 times the price of a bare bulb. It's ridiculous, when doing it yourself is so easy and more fun. BTW, your flower is a lovely color. Looks like the second scape is just about to bloom... There is an amaryllis forum on the other side of the GW which I read regularly, but don't contribute to, because those folks are virtual pros. They regrow bulbs from one season to the next (IMHO most amies on more than one season don't produce the same quality flower), and they harvest the seeds to create new colors. Sadly, they don't post pictures as often as they used to, because there have been problems with photos being stolen and used, e.g. on Ebay. One spectacular photo was actually stolen and published by a bulb company in the Netherlands. I think that I gave you way too much information. As I said, don't get me started on this subject. It's wonderful that you are keeping up a family tradition. Such an easy thing to do, and so much beauty as a reward. Happy New Year!
    ...See More

Exterior Christmas Decorating Pics?

Q

Comments (5)
    wat is your style... colored or white lights. DH has always put up lights at his house when he grew up. So we outline the entire house and all the windows. Last year we added an inflatable snowman. We aren't too fond of the inflatables but he was cute. This year we are adding 2 4ft. trees on the walkway in front of the door. We use universal clips to attach everything. most of the time they work well but there are spaces that are hard to get them to stay. Follow the directions on the lights for how many to attach end to end. Ruth
    ...See More

Anyone change themes for Christmas Tree/decor annually?

Q

Comments (5)
    Anyone planning to do this needs to consider several things - storage space, budget, and time/energy to decorate. I now only do one main tree, a couple of smaller ones, and a lot of vignettes and the decorations take a lot of closet space. Fortunately this house has the space but it's something to consider and if I ever move to a smaller house I will have to edit my decorations. If you change themes annually how many themes will you have, will you keep the ornaments/decorations or buy new frequently? Can be costly. Are you only planning to do one theme tree per year or several? Takes a lot of time to decorate several trees. Of course some people bag them and put them away fully decorated. It would be easier perhaps but for me would take the fun out of decorating. Just a few things to think about.
    ...See More

Tips on winter decorating after Christmas decorations are put away?

Q

Comments (34)
    It's worth the money to buy good, large amaryllis bulbs. They are far more likely to re-bloom. My two favorite are Cherry Nymph and White Nymph. They are double blossoms, multiple ones per stem and multiple stems. I pay about $18 for one bulb and it will rebloom for several years if treated properly. It's a lot of bag for the buck.
    ...See More
  • maddielee
    3 years ago

“ never say whoa in a mud hole”...... my new favorite saying!

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Absolutely not! Not letting covid win. Honestly, I do understand that Covid has devastated many families, and not just those who have been ill, but those who are missing others. I know several people living alone who it is just so hard on, especially their mental outlook.

I love Christmas. We celebrate the religious meaning of the holiday and this year, I guess I've thought of that meaning even more. While it is different, we will still celebrate. Trees are up, house is decorated and yesterday I added a beautiful deep pink poinsettia. It is so calming to me to sit in the evenings with the Christmas lights on.

@Funkyart sweet Funky, I so feel your pain. We lost dad on October 31. My sister and I (and my husband) were able to spend the last two days of his life here on earth with him in his AL facility. After months of limited time with him, I am so very grateful for those two days. My dad was a fighter, and so brave through this past year. The pandemic, I truly believe, caused him to go downhill quickly. Such a huge life change for him to leave his home, at 90 years of age, and then in less than two weeks be shut off from his family. But like I said, my dad was a fighter and I will do the same. I will fight against this virus! I will carry on. I will enjoy and appreciate our Christmas. I will remember those that we have lost and those we are separated from at this time.

And yes, Carolyn, peace and calm for us all.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

Everyone on my street has been going a little nuts with outdoor decorations. I walked around last night to look at them and the street looks so cheerful. I have pine roping and white lights on my fence, a lighted wreath on my garage door behind the house and today I will add colored lights around the front door. Inside, I am feeling a bit meh. I’ll probably put out most things but am thinking about skipping the tree. All my Christmases are not what they used to be and along with this years isolation I’ve had some minor but annoying health problems. The only things I enjoy are the decorations and food. I don’t dare have the food around so I may as well go crazy with the decorations, but it’s kind of sad to put everything up and then take it down and no one has seen it but me.

I did remember to put out my Rudolph Pandemic Puzzle that I did last April and glued together. It was the only puzzle I could get at the time that was not outrageously expensive. Excuse the mantel, it’s still under construction.

• llitm
    3 years ago

Well, so far no decorating has taken place. We've been staying as close to home as possible and will continue for the foreseeable future including Christmas with DD and DSIL who live four hours away. Forget DS and his family who are several states away! So, each day that passes with no decorating makes me think it may not happen this year. I'm recovering from an injury which makes multiple trips to the basement less than enjoyable. DH more than willing to do it all but, eh, not sure it's worth it. I'd thought about, and may still, put out some greenery, winter throws and pillows, candles...that type of thing.....and call it done. Maybe. A cold snap to keep me indoors for a few days rather than out on the trails would help.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

@dedtired we are going to look at Christmas lights tonight (maybe) or one night this week. I was reading on a local FB page about all the lights people are putting up. I think because of Covid, many are wanting to be more festive.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

Tina, I had no idea your dad had passed. I’m so sorry.

I couldn’t NOT decorate, even though part of me wanted to skip the whole thing. I have about 1/2 of my normal interior decorations out, but decided to go bigger on the outdoor decor to cheer up others! So we’ve got extra lights on the porch and I bought a new “peace” sign and lantern.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

I’m trying to clear out and end my 2020 eBay enterprise before I move back into a real job next year. So my dining room is my packing station and the library/living room/my office are stock rooms. Luckily we aren’t having anyone over!

We did put up lights out front.

• hhireno
    3 years ago

I rarely put up a tree (maybe 5 times in 27 years?), I don’t find any joy in it. My husband puts up a small, sports theme tree in his home office.

Since my husband is home more (occasionally working from home, no evening meetings, no sports to attend, nothing to do, no place to go) I did offer to do a living room tree this year but he said no thanks. He also decided not to do his office tree.

I do put white candles in the window, as is traditional around here. I like the extra light on cold, dark nights. I usually put up a wall of stockings (27 people + 6-8 pets) but since we won’t be seeing any of those people or pets, I skipped it this year. Skipping now will make it more festive next year.

Long before I knew him, my (non crafty) husband hand painted a 17-piece, ceramic nativity set. He sets that out every year, except for a few when we had a curious, active nephew visiting over Xmas. Why tempt fate? I did promise that nephew, now 11, that if he’s ever here for Xmas I will put up a tree and allow him to decorate it.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I saw a light I'd run like he!! to it, but I don't. DH's been really sweet and hasn't questioned my craziness with the tree.

I think if I lived in town where everybody does lights, I'd probably not feel this way. I can see the lights from my neighbor a half mile up the road. Barely.

This is the first time in my life I've been separated from my kids and grandkids at Christmas. Trust me, it's hard. Let alone not touching my babies since March. The big and little ones. I'm a hugger and kisser and I miss my boy's big bear hugs.

Today DH will be gone most of the day. I might set some Christmas things out. Or I might not!

Love hearing your stories. Forgot to add, in the beginning of isolation I really got into crafts and chalk painting. Now I'm burnt out. Bored. Nothing left to organize or clean.

I also want to make it perfectly clear, just because I'm not decorating for Christmas doesn't mean I'm not celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, so please don't insinuate otherwise. I sing Away in a Manger all the time. :)

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

HH, how sweet - that nativity set. A keepsake for sure.

I absolutely love a Christmas tree. For many years now, we've also had one in our bedroom. We turn that one off at night, but the main tree is on 24/7. :)

I love candles in the windows. I used to do that and still have them for our sunroom windows (but that's the back of the house). Our house windows are long (meaning run down close to the base of the house) and now some shrubbery, etc. has grown up to where the candles can't be seen from the outside. So I don't do those anymore, but I miss them.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Oakley, I don't think decorating for Christmas has anything to do with celebrating Christ's birth. I certainly didn't mean that! Decorating and celebrating are two different things.

Not sure what your weather is there, but if all of you are healthy at this point, I would get together outside - spaced apart, and at least enjoy a little visit. We've done that several times with our besties, my sis and her husband, etc. For Thanksgiving, we stayed home, but that evening took food to my MIL. It was a nice, warm day and we distanced ourselves from her there on the front porch and were able to have a visit. Important for her because she lives alone. There are safe ways you can see each other.

ETA - Thank you @Sueb20. I miss my sweet daddy so much. I'm comforted to know he is with my mom now.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

We weren't going to decorate (variety of circumstances and not just covid related) but last night DH went and bought a 4' fake potted Christmas tree and I put a few small balls on it and a couple of decorations from the past that had the names of the kids on them).

I had already bought a Christmas wreath and planter arrangement for the front door.

We're living in our son's suite for now and I didn't want him and his wife to think we were bah-humbuging Christmas this year.

• User
    3 years ago

@Tina Marie i didn’t know your dad had passed. I’m sorry I’m glad you were able to be together at the end. ❤️

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Thank you Caroline!

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

I'm struggling with a bad leg right now, but my house is decorated for Christmas. It took me ten times as long as it normally does because I could only do a bit at a time before resting. Since we aren't travelling this year, I knew I needed to decorate for us or I would regret it. We still didn't put up a tree, though.

I took a shortcut on wrapping gifts and sent most of them unwrapped or in a gift bag. All were shipped yesterday. Christmas cards will go out today.

I want to make Christmas cookies, but I would need to ship most of them, so I don't know if I will do that or not.

• Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago

The holidays have never been something I look forward to. Honestly, I can't wait for the whole thing to be over including New Year's. Christmas and what it means to me has nothing to do with the decorations anyway. So what I do to decorate is for DH because he enjoys them.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Arapaho, I feel the same way about New Years. I get such a weird feeling that time of the year through January.

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

Never say whoa in a mud hole... love it. I'm in a mud hole right now, and this is a good reminder. Thank you, Trailrunner.

I'm "between houses," and don't take possession of my new house until January. No decorating for me this year. But everyone's plans have changed, not just mine. We are all hurting in some way these days. I'm riding out the holiday season with the support of dear friends, meditation and thoughts on resiliency, and this delicious egg nog liquor I discovered at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago.

Joaniepoanie, your first paragraph stopped me in my tracks. It's been almost a year since you've seen your kids... my wish for you in 2021 is a long, tight, loving hug with each of them as soon as it's safe to do so.

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

Tina, I’m so sorry about the loss of your Dad. I’m glad you had those last days with him, they are a precious gift for sure.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    3 years ago

My sympathies to those who are mourning losses this year, I hope you are able to find some comfort.

We put some decorations up and some staid in their boxes and went back in the garage. This is a year of reflection for me, aligning with reality and being honest. The kids put some things out and I am able to take joy in their enthusiasm and appreciate what they have done. The things they were not interested in I would look to see if I thought it really worked in the spot it was in and if not, hold off for now. Some things I am evaluating and if I determine that I do not really care for it, being okay with getting rid of it, no matter where it came from. We are adjusting lots of things, like cooking as well. I am trying to minimize the times I go to the grocery store so no spur of the moment "let's try this recipe." I have also told the kids candy in the stockings will be different this year as we will be shopping in fewer places. I am finding the process cathartic though, removing those traditions or objects that I do not feel a connection to.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

A few years ago, my kids and I culled thru all of the holiday stuff and took it to Goodwill. We made sure to do it right after Thxgiving, and to try to box things in sets. I was glad to have less.

• schoolhouse_gwagain
    3 years ago

I said I wasn't going to decorate, but that didn't last long. Once I put the tree up (not decorated and still isn't), then other items kept coming out of boxes. Now I'm glad I caved. Altho I didn't put out as much as I usually do.

• Funkyart
    3 years ago

Oh Tina.. I am so sorry to hear that your dad also died. I am glad that you have some comfort in knowing he is with your mom. I think the thing i am learning about grief is that isn't all pain.. it's a process to learn how to remember and celebrate the lost loved one. I think making time to decorate and celebrate Dad's favorite holiday is one of the ways I can do that. I hope you continue to find ways to be at peace also.

I have not and will not decorate outside-- unless maybe i put up a wreath lol. After 6 months of 18 hrs at work, 7 days a week, I have SO much yardwork to do it feels a little too much like putting lipstick on a pig lol.

One thing I AM doing is sending cards-- and sending them to a wider network. I also bought a large number of small gifts.. little boxes of caramels, flying wish papers and the Scandinavian Christmas Bird Feed bags i shared on another thread.. to send/leave on doorsteps of friends and neighbors... just trying to spread some joy and to let people know i appreciate them and just because we don't SEE each other, that i think of them.

My thoughts are with all-- no matter the reason i think we're all missing friends, loved ones and gatherings.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Thank you Lukki and Funky. I know you are both grieving as well. Yes, Funky, so true. I remember so well my dad's advice to me (and my siblings). My dad was one to carry on, no matter what, no matter how hard. He did not give up. I carry that with me and one way to honor him is to try to follow his example.

Yes, the same here! I sent many more cards this year. We usually have a card exchange at church but since we are not going to church (watching online) I mailed cards. You sound just like my sister. Just last night she texted me about so many people she know are hurting. She is making candy (our mom always made tons of candy) and will be dropping off for people as a little bit of cheer. She is making candy and I am baking items to send to our brother who is out-of-town.

Dear Funky, take some of that raise/bonus money and hire someone to do some of that yard work. You have alot going on - indulge yourself! (I did have to laugh at the lipstick/pig comment!!)

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I didn't last year, and was so happy at the end not to have to take the time to take it all out and put it all away, that I decided to make that a permanent arrangement.

However, I usually enjoy bringing in some type of live greenery into the house. Every year the garden club that I belong to sponsors a big greens sale so I've always gotten wreaths and a candle centerpiece for the table. They did not do the sale this year, and today we went looking at some local places and the selection was AWFUL. Expensive and awful looking, tatty. So I may go without. I have a couple of fake wreaths I got at a garage sale that are in my own garage, that may do in a pinch if I don't find something nice. I have a nice pine cone wreath that is good for the front door.

Ironically I am going to light up one small tree outside, something I have never done before. For six years I participated in a lights festival at work, so I spent all of November checking, fixing and hanging lights, so never wanted to do it at home. Since I don't work there anymore and it's so glum and our yard is a big dark hole, I decided to get some lights. We don't have extra money to go all out, but I've decided to deck out the small memorial tree in the front yard with lights in the colors of my late mother's alma mater. Just a little manageable spot of brightness . . . it's something.

• LynnNM
    3 years ago

Like Mtn, I too went through all of my vast amounts of Christmas decorations a few years ago. I filled my entire minivan with decs to give away. There is a preschool in a town nearby that is government funded for families in or near the poverty level. A great group that I’ve donated to before. I called them up that year around the first of December to see if any of their parents would like some free Christmas decs. They did and it was wonderful to know that my wonderful decorations went to many happy families.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Pink, that is such a lovely idea.

I've never had bins of Christmas, and after cleaning out the attic at my parent's house - I never will!! HA!

• jojoco
    3 years ago

I did the bare minimum yesterday. .

I heard a strange crashy noise this morning. The wreath fell and took out a caroller. Not sure if I’ll try to fix it.

• Indigo Rose
    3 years ago

I really appreciate working from home since the beginning of the pandemic, but it's much more exhausting than I expected. I live alone and am on the edge of burn out, so I'll be taking some vacation time over the holidays. (I.e.; relaxing at home) Even so, I've elected to put up only a handful of indoor decorations, and in lieu of my regular "loaded" tree, I've decorated a tall faux lighted topiary I've had with a "Covid" theme.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

Time, Time is all I hear people have in this time of parties averted. I decorated as usual I enjoy it all so much. I can't imagine not.

I had the best time with my daughters collecting greens and looking through cast off craft left overs. We each made a pot for our front steps.

• roarah
    3 years ago

We have a tradition of getting our tree two weekends after thanksgiving because we keep it up until January 6 and I like it to stay fresh so ours is not up yet but my outside is done. Wreathes, Stockings and garland are hung.

I am enjoying that for the first time in decades I am doing Christmas just for my immediate family. I admit to being relieved to not host parties both before Christmas and on New Years Eve plus having overnight guest on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I am happy to not worry about what to wear. I do not miss arranging sitters for attending work and friends’ parties. I am grateful to avoid the holiday weight gain this year. I feel peaceful and filled with gratitude this holiday.

I hope to keep this new simpler Christmas tradition alive from here on out. I am appreciating my lit house without worrying about it being perfect for guests. Without worrying about menus. Without worrying about cleaning up before the next event. I am enjoying a beautiful stillness of Christmas which I sadly failed to notice in busier years of yore.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Arcy, your house is so pretty! I would definitely decorate outside if I thought anyone would see it.

I have a question. For those of you who are decorating with joy, lol, who will you be with on Christmas day? Does being in a neighborhood where everyone decorates make a difference? It would for me.

Today DS1 and I met at the gate and I gave him their Christmas cards (pop up) and a few gifts so the cat won't tear the ribbons on them. It put me in a better mood just knowing he and my DIL are there. He works all day in his office so he doesn't really have a chance to be lonely.

It's times like these I really wish I had a sister.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Allison, I forgot to ask. What is that gate in front of the andirons on your hearth? I'd love to switch out our black andirons for the brass, or is it gold?

• roarah
    3 years ago

Just like I decorate my bedroom for only my husband and me to enjoy you can decorate just for you to enjoy, Oakley.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Oakley, if you are asking about jojoco's photo, that is called a fire fender. They were originally used to prevent logs from rolling into the room. Mostly decorative now. Usually brass. I think they are lovely. I didn't see anything from Allison.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Oakley I decorate for us, no one else. I do wreaths, greens, etc. outside. i have 2 lighted deer. We are spread out here but what the neighbors do has no bearing on my decorating. I do think it seems more people are doing outside lights this year, probably to share a little cheer.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

I finished all my decorating a week ago and felt a little bad because I was a week later than normal. Usually I do it all the day after Thanksgiving and keep it up until New Year's Day. In spite of Covid and all the drastic changes in our lives I never for a moment thought about not decorating.

This Thanksgiving was the first time in 42 years that we didn't celebrate with all of our kids. Christmas will be the same. My eldest son, his wife and 18 month old daughter were with us for Thanksgiving and will be here for Christmas. My son works from home and my DDIL is 4 months pregnant. They've been extremely cautious so I am thankful that at least part of the family will be here.

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

Oakley, we will be by ourselves this year. I'm actually looking forward to skipping all of the extended family activities. I do most of the work for those and I will enjoy a year off. Our neighbors don't decorate on the outside much and neither do we. We do decorate every room inside the house.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I decided last night no tree this year. It's just a little vintage aluminum tree, but still seems like too much fuss and I'm just not feeling it.

Still doing our usual simple lights outside and the vintage ones around our living room window have been lit for a week.

I grabbed some fresh trimmings @ HD the other day, and will put some in containers around the house so we can enjoy the fragrance, and plan to make the rest into wreaths for my door and my mom's. I may just make sprays since they're easier and faster.

My mom will still have the traditional fully decorated tree at her house, which I will likely be doing the bulk of the work on, but it won't be the usual fresh one. We opted for a mail ordered artificial one to avoid the COVID crowds. Infection rates are bad here.

• dedtired
    3 years ago

Seriously thinking of skipping the tree. What’s the point? No one to see it. I’m having a very bah humbug day.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jojo! Not Allison. Yikes, senior moment there. Thanks, Cyn.

Tina, my not putting up a tree has a lot to do with this being our first Christmas without my children and grandchildren. It's a hard one. As I said, if I lived in town I'd probably decorate to help make the neighborhood cheerful. I definitely could have fun with that.

Ded, come sit by me. :)

Carol, I downsized trees last year and it's much smaller and I still couldn't muster the energy to decorate. This Covid mood affects not just our mental energy but our physical energy as well.

Maire, will your son and family be in isolation before they come over? Be careful. If just one of my kids and grands were coming over, of course I'd decorate because at least some of the joy of sharing it with others will be there, but we're all staying put.

Not sure if I mentioned this above but our small town had its 5th death last week which threw a lot of us into more sadness.

We're getting ready to get more cold weather and I decided today I'll clean then go into hibernation under my fluffy blanket with my book and toys, and cat. I love cold weather! That does put me in a good mood for some reason.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Oakley, I think you missed my point, but that's fine. We each have to do what feels right to us during this covid situation. I'm not prepared to let covid win without a fight so to speak. Yes, there are many things covid has changed, but there are some things I still have control over. Took a walk yesterday. Beautiful here and we are going to have a warm day (last one for a while I think) so I plan to enjoy it.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Oakley, Put that tree back up and facetime on your phone with the grandkids! Share the decorations with them and they can do the same. You could make it a daily routine! This has been such a terribly difficult year for everyone, but just seeing my granddaughter's face and laughing and talking with her and her parents was such a lift. Now, disclaimer, I have been seeing her since we are all staying home at our respective houses, but I hadn't seen her for 12 days due to some wretched bug that had me crawling to the bathroom and otherwise staying flat on my back in bed due to severe dizziness (gone now thanks to modern medicine!), so I have been luckier in that regard. Still, it was such a joy. If you don't have a smart phone, you can just order one and have it delivered! Well worth it, imho.

I wish you joy and the hope that the new year is bringing.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

I decorate for myself and DH and if I opted not to decorate he would understand. When we had live trees he helped pick it out and put it in the stand but I've always done the rest of the decorating by myself and the kids helped when they were younger. Other than lighted wreaths, garlands and candles in the window we never did a lot outside.

I can't say what I would do if I were alone but I'd probably cut back somewhat. However I enjoy putting the tree up and thinking about each ornament as I place them. They've been collected over the years and hold many fond memories, especially the ones my children made or gave to me.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

For me, the "for myself" aspect of Christmas started long ago. I realized that there was no "right" way to decorate or celebrate Christmas. And so I started jettisoning things I didn't enjoy but did just because I thought that was what I had to do or that Christmas had to be the time for doing it. I sort of went that way with my entertaining too, I have scaled back how elaborate I do it, and realize I don't have to both entertain and show off my mad cooking or pastry-making skills all at the same time. For example, I had a party once where I heated up some store bought sangria flavored wine with a few spices thrown in and everyone RAVED about it. So pooof, there went my days of making my own sangria or mulled wine . . . . and I've never looked back. I stopped hand grating my potatoes for latkes, making my own grahman cracker crusts, etc., etc. Not that I won't do it, but I would rather buy some things than be too exhausted to enjoy the guests . . . I am the queen of "semi home made."

That said, hubs and I really enjoyed our days of having a decorated tree. It was just for us. We lost all the decorations in a house fire and don't have money this year to replace. But as I mentioned, we're finding other alternatives. If being alone on the holiday makes you reflect more on what it means for you personally, so much the better.

The grief of some of my pandemic losses is exhausting, so I find "keeping it simple" works best some days. If I get three squares and can manage a whole night's sleep I consider it a win.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Cyn, they live on the acre behind us so I do see them outside. It's just too hard to have real conversations, goof off in their bedrooms, hug and kiss them, all that grandma stuff.

They helped clear the limbs after the ice storm, and they just got out of quarantine so I hope to see them soon. With school and it getting dark early, it's hard to see them on week days.

I'll miss seeing Christmas through the eyes of a child. I'll be fine though, but I just don't have the energy to put up the tree. lol

• Peppapoodle
    3 years ago

I’m so sorry for the losses mentioned in this thread.

Im not decorating for Christmas- busy working & remodeling a house &/living a few steps above camping. I was feeling sorry for myself- not getting together w my family for Thanksgiving & possibly, Christmas ( I usually host & plan the holidays). I miss the tree, lights & ornaments, the planning & excitement.

And my MIL is in retirement home, haven’t seen her since March. But, today I did get do an impromptu visit, masked & socially distant & it was what I needed & I hope lifted her spirit, as well. Thank you to the sweet employee that let me see her in the lobby❤️

Maybe, I’ll put some magnolia & evergreens on the mailbox (one item here that doesn’t need to be remodeled!)

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

I haven't had to decorate for Christmas for a few years. But I did get the winter village finished in the living room this week :)