SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_52075

WalkOut Basement Into 1st Floor of Home?!?

Ana Paula Dias
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So, we bought a home that is too small for us. It's 1300 sq feet (but the floorplan is horrible, so it feels even smaller). But, it's in an awesome neighborhood. The house has NO windows on the south side (where it gets the best light). It's built on a slope so you have to go up about 8 steps to get into the house (basically a ranch on top of a walkout basement on one side). However, the basement garage and it's massive doors face South. The light it gets is lovely. We need to expand and I think it would be a great idea to basically permit the basement and convert it into the 1st floor of the house. I would add huge floor to ceiling glass doors where the 2 garage doors are, make that the formal living and dining. Place a much larger kitchen just under the current kitchen, and have room for a small family room. Since this would all be "open floorplan" we'd have egress and light (I'd recover the posts to make them look like they are intentional, while still keeping the space open. Behind the current stairwell, (where it is a true basement) I'd keep the area for the furnace, water heater, washer dryer, and maybe an office. Nothing that would need a window or an egress. This would leave the second floor(currently the ranch part) to just be bedrooms, and where my kitchen is I'd convert it to a master bath, and where the combination living/dining is I'd make that our master bedroom. Also, since the yard is on a slope, the only place where we have "flat land" to have an outdoor sitting area, a pool, some play equipment for our son, is right outside the basement garage, so a conversion would also give us a lovely ground level side yard!! Later down the road I'd add a stand alone garage more towards the front of our driveway, giving us even more privacy in what would now be the "side yard". I think we could make it look nice and not at all like a "basement entrance. Especially since the yard is level where the entrance would be. It would be much cheaper than an addition out, or up. Oh, and the basement has 9 1/2 foot ceilings to the beams, so i think we could end up with 9' ceilings. What are your thoughts? Is this a fools errand? Would the house be classified as a 2 story? And would it have good resale value?? Or would I be destroying the home's value?

Comments (25)