SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajcn

Question about moving toilet and using tub drain for new shower

AJCN
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My SIL asked me what I thought she should change about the layout of the master bath in a beach condo she is remodeling. It's on the Alabama Gulf Coast. She's in the process of choosing a GC from a recommended list of GCs that have worked in the building before and in some nearby buildings.

Here's what it looks like right now. The toilet is the first thing you see when you enter. They don't want a tub.

I suggested this:

Toilet: One GC who actually didn't come over, sent his plumber, and the plumber said the toilet can't be moved over because of concrete and cables in the foundation. I'm probably using the wrong words -- they are not on the ground floor; all the parking is under them. They are up a few floors, but the first level that has condos on it. So by foundation, I mean what is under the floor. The plumber said it's possible to do but would require an engineer and special permission from the condo people, and was pretty much indicating that it wouldn't be worth it. But he was pretty vague and she didn't come away really understanding the issue completely.

Shower: He said the bathtub drain is 1.5" and would need to be 2" in order to put the shower where the tub is currently because of the same concrete/cables issue. But if the location doesn't move, is it really not possible to install a wider drain?

Does this all sound correct? The GC didn't come over, just the plumber. Would the plumber know all this? The condo people have been vague also. They have to approve all the work plans so of course she wouldn't be doing anything that is not allowed. Should she ask the GC to bring in the engineer to assess or does it seem that that would be a waste of time and she needs to change to something like this?

Seems yucky to see toilet upon entering. Also to have the linen make-up area by the toilet. If it's true that shower and toilet can't move, it this the only option?

Thanks in advance. She just started the process so was just asking me to talk it over with her and then while we were talking the plumber arrived so she filled me in after he left.

Comments (7)