SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Shopping at Latin (or other ethnic) markets

Lars
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

During the pandemic, we have been avoiding some ethnic markets because we felt that they were not as safe as some of the higher end markets like Bristol Farms and Gelson's, which enforce strict rules, especially regarding store occupancy limits and require customers to wear masks covering their noses at all times.

Today, however, we broke down and went to Cárdenas Market in Cathedral City, noticing that it is now less crowded that it was a few months ago. I felt fairly safe there, and everyone seemed to be wearing masks properly, and there was sufficient social distancing as well. Also, there seemed to be fewer children in the store than usual, and the children were all wearing masks. I think people are concerned enough about their own and others' safety to take necessary precautions.

I was very happy to be in this store again, as it is a very joyful experience. First of all, they are always playing Mexican party music and have festive Mexican decorations. The store's founder is from Jalisco, and so it does make me feel like I am in Guadalajara while I am there. There were happy young men dancing in the aisles to the music, and it truly felt like a party. This is not something I see in Gelson's or Bristol Farms, both of which have horrible "elevator music," which I find more annoying than anything else.

Finally we were able to buy the fresh tamales (six chicken and six pork) that we love, and I also bought chicharrones, which are made in the store, as well as in-store made corn tortillas, flour tortillas, guacamole, and salsa, all of which are better than name brands and also less expensive.

Prices are very low at this store, and so I stocked up on dried chilies - Ancho, Guajillo, Pasilla, Chile de Arbol, and Chipotle. I will store these in Foodsaver bags for future use and take some back to L.A., as I am almost out of dried chilies there. We also bought two kinds of chicken posole, to have for the holidays - I think that is traditional for Christmas, along with tamales. We will probably have to go back for more tamales, but if we do, I will want to go fairly early in the morning, when there are even fewer people in the store.

I had forgotten how many Mexican grocery items I normally buy there, which include brands of Cotija cheese that I especially like and that is less expensive than other brands. Their bolillos were already bagged in quantities of three and six, and so I bought a bag of three. Normally, I have to use tongs to bag my own bolillos, but that has changed. They also no longer have bulk pinto beans or black beans, as these have also been pre-bagged, which actually makes it easier and probably safer.

What changes have you noticed in your local ethnic markets?

Comments (42)