SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farsgetswed

Feedback on reno layout--opening kitchen, combining living/dining?

Reno Help!
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

All--starting a new post--the second picture below is the current floor plan of the house we just bought, and we've been working through different options to re-do and open the kitchen. We aren't able to change the whole floor plan and don't want to move the powder room. We're planning to take out most of the wall between the kitchen and family room regardless (it's load bearing, but not a huge deal). Aside from that wall, most of the interior walls are not load bearing.

We've gone through several iterations where we keep the main living space in back (which is sunken 1 step) and keep the formal living and dining rooms, but open the kitchen, and keep getting stuck on a few things. It's hard to imagine using the formal living room, based on our lifestyle. Also, if we want any sort of in-kitchen (casual) dining, it really limits the kitchen size. The windows in the current breakfast area are pretty low, which adds another complication.

The new idea, below (first drawing), is to combine the formal living and dining rooms into a big living space (about 13' by 23'), expand the opening from the kitchen into that big room, and use the current family room for casual (or sometimes formal) dining. If we do that, we don't need in-kitchen dining, which allows for a bigger island and countertop.

I'd love (constructive) thoughts/suggestions. Obviously the furniture shown in the new "big" room isn't laid out thoughtfully at all--it'd take some thinking about how to do that in a smart way. Would love suggestions on that, ideas on how to make that room awesome, thoughts about whether to enlarge or center the opening from the hall, etc. And of course thoughts about whether this is generally a good idea are most welcome too.

We have little kids, and like to have folks over. We have lots of other play spaces in the house on other floors. I know very specific measurements would be more helpful, but this is what I have for now.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (2)