SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annemarykep

Kitchen: Quartz Backsplash Install Unhappy

AnneMari Kepton
3 years ago

Hello everyone! I am hoping to get some feedback for a relative of mine who recently did a kitchen update. The specific issue is their quartz kitchen backsplash. I drove up to visit them, and I took some pictures of what was done by the installers.

The seams - caulking/grout does not look well at one particular point. Especially compared to the other 2 seams on the wall. There is a “hole” in the material. Also, the walls are very wavy/bowed on one side due to electrical work change - I think. Though the template person did see it and it was mentioned to him. Plus the building is decades old (condo so there are multiple units).

1. What is your opinion on the seam work?

2. Gap at back of wall due to wavy/bowed wall? Fixable or OK as is? Honestly, if they hadn’t of pointed it out to me, I would not have even noticed it. There is something in that corner and unless you remove it, no one sees that gap. I don‘t think its that big of a deal. Though he paid a pretty penny for it.

3. Unevenness, slight slant typical at upper cabinet?

4. Hole in the material.

5. Seam at sink is pretty noticeable. Is this usual? I’ve seem some photos of others and it seems as if its a commonplace thing.

6. Outlet hole cutouts aren’t uniform. Should they be exact? I believe the fabricator cut it by water or so.

Overall, they like it. These imperfections have dampened the high of their initial love for it. Those of us that have seen it in person or Zoom/Skype don’t notice it as much because we don’t live there. However, that seam does look bad. They might put a non vented hood over the range to block the unevenness of the slab there.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope, so I can pass it on!

Comments (6)