SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abby_nelson83

SOS!! Shower disaster!!

3 years ago

Two weeks ago we noticed two small cracks in our fiberglass shower pan so we stopped using it immediately. Ended up hiring a “professional” after told us he would be able to rip out the out shower and give us a brand new tiled shower for a pretty reasonable price. I said DO IT!!! I was so relieved.

UNTIL....this guy did an awesome job ripping everything out. Down to the studs. It looked great and I was excited for a clean slate. Boy was I wrong. On top of not showing up when he said he would and leaving for hours at a time and sometimes not even coming back, he left us with THIS. This monstrosity. As you can tell, this guy was no professional. I feel so stupid for putting our trust in this guy.

So my question is: it’s pretty pretty clear we’re going to have to rip EVERYTHING out and start from scratch. Am I right? The cement board he installed he just screwed directly into the studs. Is that protocol? Doesn’t there need to be some kind of support between the cement board and studs? Also, as you can tell the tiles look like they were installed by a 10 year old. Is there no salvaging anything?

I need help!! We have enlisted some family friends who we actually TRUST and who have prior experience in laying tile. But i need any advice I can get at this point. This is our ONLY shower in our house and we have been showering at the gym and I’m ready for this nightmare to be over. :(

Comments (6)