SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carydan

Remedy for Kerdi disaster...advice needed

carydan
10 years ago

I am doing a shower using Kerdi and mortar bed method. The tile guy has never done Kerdi and I read too much but has no real experience. You put these two together...

Long story short, on my insist we decided to kerdi and tile the shower wall first and do the mortar bed later to avoid damaging the floor Kerdi piece.

Yesterday he put up Kerdi on the shower wall and it's all nice and looking good. This morning he started to tile the shower wall, left two inches un-tiled to the floor for room for the floor mortar bed. Half way I realized I am screwed - the bottom Kerdi band hadn't been put on yet! Now there is no way to overlap the wall Kerdi and the future floor Kerdi!

He said what we can do is wait til 7 PM this evening so the top wall tiles are secured enough they don't weigh down the bottom low of wall tile. That time we can take out the last bottom row of 12x12 tile and apply the Kerdi band throughoput, then put the 12x12 tile back and leave the half Kerdi band freestanding not thinset to anything. Tomorrow when they are done with the mortar bed we thinset that portion of Kerdi band onto the mortar bed.

Advice needed: Is this doable? Any other option do I have now?

Thanks in advanced.

Dan

Comments (5)