Go to Deviled Egg Recipe

katlan

Please tell me yours. I'm going to fess up right up front, at 60 years old, I have never made deviled eggs. I know, I know, there's no excuse. Anyhow, my daughter loves them, so do I. May I request some recipes please???

SaveComment33Like
Comments (33)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HamiltonGardener

The secret to a great devilled egg is to use real mayo, not Miracle Whip, and my grandfather’s secret ingredient..... just a touch of horseradish.

Perfection!!!!

1 Like Save     Thanked by katlan
maifleur03

I have to admit that I gave up using anything other than Grey Poupon Dijon mustard when I make them. I just remove the egg yolks, mash until almost smooth, add mustard until it is the consistency I want. Then either just spoon or pipe into the hollow of the egg whites although often I cover the whole side with the mixture. If they would need additional thinning for piping I add just a little sweet pickle or relish juice.

happy2b…gw

I do not do anything specials. Just Hellmans, salt, pepper, a bit of brown mustard, paprika dusting on top

4 Likes Save     Thanked by katlan
amylou321

Hellmans mayo, cooked crumbled bacon, cayenne, salt.

Save     Thanked by katlan
pkpk23

I use mayo, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Old Bay, horseradish, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, and dried basil. Sprinkle Old Bay on top. Sounds like a lot but eggs are really good. I’m always asked to bring my deviled eggs to potlucks.

glenda_al

Am with happy2b. Do enjoy a thin sliced olive on top.

No pickles, no pickle juice for me.

georgysmom2

Deviled Eggs

6 hard boiled eggs, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, 3 T. mayo.

Avocado Deviled Eggs

6 hard boiled eggs, 1 avocado, diced, 3 slices cooked bacon chopped, 2 1/2 T. mayo, 2 tsp. lime juice, 1 clove garlic, crushed, 1/8 tsp. cayenne, sea salt to taste, 1 jalapeño sliced

Shrimp Deviled eggs

12 eggs, 2 tsp. butter, 1 green onion, 1 pinch garlic powder, 1 C. salad shrimp (small), 1/2 C. mayo, 1 tsp mustard, 1/4 C. chopped dill pickle, 1 dash tabasco, 1 T. chopped parsley. Melt butter, cook and stir shrimp, green onion and garlic pow. 4 min. Mince shrimp. Stir 3/4 of shrimp and remaining liquid into egg yolks. Add mayo, mustard, pickle and hot sauce, mixing well. Scoop into shells and garnish w/ remaining shrimp and pinch of parsley. Chill at least 30 min.

The first is your basic deviled eggs, but I've also made the other two just for variation. Particularly like the avocado one.

Judy Good

Mine is simple and never take any home, NEVER. Boiled Eggs, Mayonnaise (not miracle whip), small amount of white sugar, salt and sweet relish. Just to get the right texture and top with paprika. I always serve chilled.

bengardening

I use MW and mine are good. I absolutely hate mayo

3 Likes Save     Thanked by katlan
Elizabeth

I go with the mustard/mayo mix but add just a tiny amount of barbecue sauce. I know it sounds weird but it is barely detectable. It adds a tiny bit of smoke and spice.

eld6161

Yes to Mayo and Dijon. A splash of Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle paprika on top.

katlan

Thank you everyone! Happy Thanksgiving!

1 Like Save    
functionthenlook

6 hard cooked eggs

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon minced onion

1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

mayo to preferred consistency

top with paprika

Best if made 8 hour before eating

1929Spanish-GW

I never measure.

Salt & pepper

greek yogurt

fresh chives

bacon

a touch of paprika on top if I’m feeling randy

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I add a little French's mustard and a little kraft real Mayo original. Mix it up. Add a little bit of kosher Dill pickle juice and some salad olive juice and finely diced salad olives. Season with some Tony's and a little bit of pink salt. Serve with a bottle of Louisiana hot sauce for those who want a kick. I steam my eggs so they peel easily.

Occasionally I add extremely finely Chopped purple onions.

For shrimp deviled eggs I grind boiled shrimp very fine and add it to the mix. The shrimp are boiled in old bay Seasonings.

OutsidePlaying

For a dozen egg yolks, I add approx 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp white pepper (optional). Blend the yolks with the dry ingredients, then add approx 4 Tbsp mayo (I use Duke’s), 1 tsp regular or Dijon mustard, and sweet pickle relish. I mix with a pastry blender but can use a fork.

The pickles are optional, and I sometimes make half my eggs with the pickles and half without. And I often mix it up with part dill pickle relish and part sweet relish. Garnishes range from an olive slice, jalapeño slice, or a small pickle slice.

HamiltonGardener

I’m so surprised at the amount of people using mustard and relish in their devilled eggs. I’ve only ever seen devilled eggs with relish once before at a community event, and everyone hated them.

HU-178658043

I've never made them but there were some brought to a pot luck that were topped with capers. Loved them.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

'Deviled' means spicy so mustard is a must!! And only enough mayo to make the filling workable. No relish or pickles or anything sweet (heaven forbid Miracle Whip!!) but add seasonings to your taste. I use Beau Monde seasoning, S&P and some Madras curry powder and minced chives. Horseradish (or wasabi) or a dash of hot sauce would work if you don't like curry. Garnish however you like - paprika is traditional, but capers, a slice of black olive or just parsley or chives are good as well.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I detest anything sweet in mine. Especially sweet pickles or relish.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

@Judy Good, I have a friend from Iowa who puts a small amount of sugar in her deviled eggs. She is the only person I have ever known who added sugar.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

^^ Nasty!! Unless you are making a custard or baking flan, eggs should not be sweet.

HamiltonGardener

I’ll stick with the horseradish. No mustard.

Judy Good

I think it is regional, I have roots in Iowa. For us we like a "little" sweetness.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by katlan
katlan

Thank you everyone. I did a trial run of just 4 eggs. My brother in law told me mayo, s&p and some sweet relish. That's it. They were ok. I scooped out the filling of the last 2 and added some mustard. Better.

So for our Thanksgiving dinner, which we are having today, here are my deviled eggs! Mayo, mustard, S&P and some sweet pickle relish and a sprinkle of paprika.

3 Likes Save    
ci_lantro

I like a touch of sweet in deviled eggs, too.

functionthenlook

I'm going to try the deviled eggs with relish. It sound close to the sauce I use in my potato salad. Sounds yummy.

georgysmom2

They look yummy but you lost me at sweet pickle relish. :-)))

bob_cville

I'll try to enter the recipe later. But for halloween I made truly deviled eggs

with eyes and noses made from capers, and small slices of red jalapeno for horns smiles or tongues.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by katlan
Marilyn_Sue

Mine will have yellow mustard and either mayo or Miracle Whip, I like them both, depends what jar is open. MIne will a have a bit of sugar in them too. I want the yellow smooth so no relish or anything like that in them. Would you believe someone asked at Thanksgiving where are the deviled eggs! Guess I will have to make sure there are some for Christmas.

Sue

bragu_DSM 5

mayo [I like spin blend], whole grain mustard w/ horseradish, splash of AC vinegar and a pinch of sugar to off set the vinegar ... sometimes I go wild and throw in some dry ranch dip ... or add brandy in lieu of vinegar

stacey_mb

How fun, Bob! I'll bet they were delicious too!

sheilajoyce_gw

Lots of paprika, mayo, a dab of yellow mustard, and a generous amount of Del Monte Sweet Pickle Relish.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Egg Platters to Keep Those Devils in Their Place
You just might cluck with delight over these perfectly portioned egg plates for Easter and beyond
Full Story
Kitchen Design 5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Recipes: Secret Ingredients of 5 One-of-a-Kind Cooking Spaces
Learn what went into these cooks’ kitchens — and what comes out of them
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Ferguson showrooms are where your plans of a dream home turn into a reality. Ferguson showrooms are the place to... Read More