SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_45223725

Help me style my 430 sqr ft rental

HU-45223725
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I‘m redoing some things around the house and have some major design dilemmas I would love some advice on.

First of all, here‘s the house right now:

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

what‘s not changing:

Wall colour and flooring

Sofa, rug, artwork above sofa, long white tv stand

Pretty much the whole bathroom (can replace shower head, faucet and drawer pulls if necessary to match the rest of the house)

what‘s changing:

New kitchen. Here’s the general layout and some inspiration photos:

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My big question for the kitchen is this: will it look classy or cheesy to have brass in such a small, relatively simple space?

And will I have to match the faucet to the cabinet pulls (since brass faucets cost more)? And what about the fixtures in the bathroom, can they stay in chrome or should the match too? And what about the pulls on the wardrobe? It’s pretty much in the same space as the kitchen, so I figure they will have to be brass as well - will it be an overload of brass or will add warmth and luxury in your opinion?

New lighting throughout the house. I’m replacing all of the pendant lights: one in the living room, one in the kitchen, one next to wardrobe and one in the bedroom. I reckon the two in the kitchen and wardrobe area should be identical, while the ones in the bedroom and living room can be different, but shouldn’t clash with the rest.

Do you think the lighting should have gold accents, or white, or black?

i’ll add options for inspiration later.

New coffee table. I will design it and my partner who owns a woodworking workshop will make it for us. As we don’t have a dining table we eat most of our meals in the living room, meaning I can’t wait to have a longer, rectangle coffee table to serve food and eat on. The proportions will be 16 inch wide over 34 inch long and I think a minimalist, Japanese inspired look would be nice in this space. Here are some ideas, would love to know what you liked best for this place - specific design element you liked or just shape and material wise:

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

My Project · More Info

New sofa legs: big dilemma! Should I go with wood or metal? If metal, then I’m back to the question of can I mix metals around the house? will a black metal leg work? Or am I constricted to brass?

New throw pillows. This is where I want to add most colour. I love this colour combination:

My Project · More Info

Any suggestions where I can get some pillow covers in these tones at a reasonable price?

Framed artwork. Another way to add colour. I want to frame the existing artwork on the white tv stand, plus add a bigger piece of art on the empty wall to the right of the living room window (next to the music corner). What should be the main colour/s in that artwork?

Restyle this display:

My Project · More Info

I feel the right side is too cluttered. What would you remove/add to it to make it complete?

New bed. Another piece we will self build. This is the basic design:

My Project · More Info

Add a rug in the bedroom. It‘s a long and narrow room, lacking natural light. Can you give me some ideas for a suitable rug?

I’ll also add a floor length white see through curtain in the bedroom and a long lumbar pillow.

That‘s about it for now, I think. would love to hear your thoughts and look at your ideas!

Thanks.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths