SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hellogc

should I paint my mantle?

Greg
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have a honey glaze maple mantle. My floors are red since they are padauk wood. I don’t want to replace the floors yet. Choosing wall colour to make my place more modern is difficult. I recently painted the rest of the house crisp linen. I tried painted the fireplace wall Kendall charcoal, and it made the wood too orange. Should I try to retain the wood or paint I?

Comments (43)

• Greg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m also thinking of colosing the tv nook with doors.

• Greg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Please excuse the mess

• Related Discussions

Should I paint the pine in my family room and/or my fireplace?

Q

Comments (8)
    I like it. Is it cutting edge trendy? Not even close, but I like it. It's homey and comfortable. If it were mine, I wouldn't paint. If you paint, you're going to have to paint not only the shelves, but the lower half of the walls and the ceiling beams ... and in the process you'd lose so much warmth and character. If you feel you MUST do something, I'd do the fireplace in a white wash -- a dirty white wash that'd allow a bit of color to show through. You could test this: Tape up some white paper on the fireplace and live with it a while. I wonder how much of your dissatisfaction has to do with lighting. I see you have several lamps burning. What if you could do something along the lines of in-cabinet lighting -- you know, like they do in kitchens -- in the shelves. Or what if you bring in color in your furniture? Instead of painting the room itself, bring in a RED sofa ... or paint the (completely removeable) table and TV stand a bright color.
    ...See More

Should I paint the pine in my family room and/or my fireplace?

Q

Comments (8)
    It won't be an easy job, but I'd leave the brick as is and paint the book cases, cabinets, and wainscoting, leave the FP mantel and back wall as is, and hang some kind of horizontal artwork on that back FP Wall, paint the crown moulding, leave the beams as they are, paint the walls a more saturated color, and paint the walls behind the book shelves a neat-o color. It would really brighten up the room, bring it up to more contemporary, but maintain the cozy rustic feel as well. Is this work you'd do yourself? wouldn't be easy. You have to sand everything first, then put three coats of BIN primer over the pine, and then paint. Knots in pine bleed right through paint, which is why you have to prime pine with BIN, three coats, before painting.
    ...See More

Dark Mantle on fireplace should I paint to match trim?

Q

Comments (6)
    I am not sure what I think yet - but if round chandelier is bronze, and a wall is painted dark, that might be reason to include another dark 'piece' [the mantel].
    ...See More

Should I paint my fireplace mantle?

Q

Comments (4)
    This site is notoriously glitchy when it becomes to posting photos. What a beautiful space, and I would leave the fireplace alone, as it definitely complements the serene flow of the space. If you paint it, you'll create something of a choppy look in that direction. It's perfect just as it is now.
    ...See More
  • User
    3 years ago

Were it me I would get paper in the colors I might like to paint the mantle and tape the colored paper over the wood to see how it looks. Or buy small amounts of sample paint and paint some pieces of cardboard so you can cover the wood with that to see what you think.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

From my perspective, the wood mantle is the nicest feature in your space.

If you have children or children visiting, please consider getting rid of glass table. The glass as well as the shape of it is dangerous. Consider an ottoman style for coffee table.

As far as the rest of the place, I don't know if you would want to repaint the walls. If so, maybe a warm white would be better. But I think the easiest thing might be to get a larger rug to cover more of the floor. Using a few less pillows would also make your place look more polished. I suggest using mainly velvet pillows with your leather, and if you are keeping wall color I think a combination of charcoal and tan for pillow covers in solids would be good. Mainly charcoal.

Greg thanked freedomplace1
  • Greg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. I did put away some of the pillows, that looked better. The photo was from last year. I’m still not sure about the Kendall charcoal walls. The fireplace is to contrasting in my opinion. I reduced the colours in photo shop. I think that works better.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I think the mantle + charcoal could work as it is. For another look, your photoshop visual also looks good. You are on the right track. It is really a nice wood mantle. I think it adds a lot to the space.

• The Guy
    3 years ago

Should you paint your mental?

Are you crazy?

• Greg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lol, it was a typo and I only noticed it after posting and I don’t know how to change it. I’m new here.

• Greg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think I figured how to fix the typo. I didn’t know I had to use a desktop site for it.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

That horse on mantle is fabulous! It all looks stunning. Amazing... Love carpet/rug, also. Great choices.👌 Pillows look fantastic now. Polar bears put a smile on my face. :) Merry Christmas!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Looks great. I would add an additional wood piece on the coffee table to tie in the mantel. This cute kiwi would be just the ticket!

• Greg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Flo. I do have three of those kiwi birds from crate and barrel. I’m bring one down.

• Greg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m still waiting for my lamps. They are on back order

• Greg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Merry Christmas! Great minds! The horse on the mantel is genius!! Where did you find that?

• Greg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your help. The kiwi does help pull the elements together. I got the horse from Restoration Hardware about 10 years ago and didn’t know where to put it until now. I think there’s a similar one on Wayfair.

• Sharon
    3 years ago

Looks sharp! Impressive update from original picture,

• PRO
    Valerie
    3 years ago

What about painting the maple in Kendall Charcoal, but a satin finish?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

I thought about that too Valerie, but I do like the warmth the wood brings out and plays with other elements. A very lovely combo.

• Timi M
    3 years ago

The room looks lovely. Just bring in a color from the mantle in either throw pillows or decorative item on the coffee table.

• slab
    3 years ago

You are obviously most concerned with the honey maple colour. I would paint it out in the trim colour that is in the rest of the room. It would be neutral and would not compete with your floor colour.

• L W
    3 years ago

IMHO, I would modernize the room by painting walls/mantle white to brighten and contrast with your lovely dark furniture. (my aesthetics are California based)

• Beth G
    3 years ago

In my opinion, what seems odd about the mantel are the vertical maple moldings that go up from the horizontal mantel to the ceiling. I guess they're meant to frame the niche. The molding is intended to look traditional-- but a traditional mantel STOPS at the horizontal mantel and is never extended upward unless the entire wall is paneled. If it were my house, I'd be inclined to remove the vertical moldings above the mantel, patch the wall surface, and paint the wall and niche all the same color. Perhaps even replace the mantel with one that has a more more substantial heft to it.

• Lynn G
    3 years ago

I like the warmth of the wood. I find brown and grey just don’t go that well together. I think the grey is too dark. If you want dark maybe navy would be better. or if you want grey try a grey tone that is lighter than the wood...

• carol beachlady
    3 years ago

The room is very dark and monochromatic. Try covering the maple wood with paper painted in a sample shade of white. Do you intend to use the niche for TV, or for art display - ? If for TV, then consider installing some doors to conceal the TV when you are not watching. Try a larger area rug to cover more of the reddish-tone floors. Add some lamps or light fixtures that provide a softer light, and better for reading. The metal fixtures, especially the one nearest the niche are too harsh. And try to pull in some accents with more color, such as framed wall art on either side of the fireplace and pillows for the sofa.

• carol beachlady
    3 years ago

Looking at many photos on this website, there are many large, dark colored sofas. All are either set in rooms with light colored walls, or have bright wall art picking up colors of the sofa. There is also a floor lamp with a white shade against a dark wall. Light and bright - ! Also, if the TV is to go above the fireplace, then position the sofa for more comfortable viewing.

• nolanirvana
    3 years ago

I like the look of the mantle with the charcoal paint. I think the natural wood looks good. If you are thinking of painting, I would get some art board and paint in the color you are considering before painting the wood. Leave the boards up for a few days so you can get a feel for how the lighter color works.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 years ago

I quite like the photo you've posted with the fireplace niche painted and with the horse displayed. The wood mantle and surround doesn't bother me nearly as much. In fact, it provides some good contrast. The house is a stroke of genius.

• Charla Miller
    3 years ago

Get rid of the maple. Either paint it dark like the picture someone posted or light like the color over by the windows. Semi gloss if light. Could go satin if dark. I like both but maple is yuck. If you remove the trim going up to the ceiling the mantle will look cheap and unsubstantial so keep it. I love the gray color on the wall.

• donnamonet
    3 years ago

I’m no decorator, but I love everything you’ve done! I have a traditional mantle also and people tell me I should paint it. Seeing your pics has helped me. I absolutely love how you’re pulling everything together...rug, fantastic horse, pillows are perfect, and those kiwi birds...love them, too! I’m anxious to see the lamps you’ve ordered. 😄 Wishing you a Merry Christmas!🎄

• aschmitz
    3 years ago

To me that wood mantle and framing look really dated. If you want a modern look, consider ripping out the wood & replacing with much simpler, more modern mantle. I don't think this would be very difficult. Check out photos on houzz and other sites or easy updates.

• Archinut
    3 years ago

If you are really intent on keeping the mantle as us (I understand- I hate to paint natural wood) I would remove the two vertical pieces. They are weird. And if you don’t like the charcoal wall color, then I would paint those walls in a slightly lighter color so it isn’t quite such a contrast. Love the horse in the niche btw, and agree that replacing the coffee table with something in a similar natural wood would help to tie the mantle to the rest of the room.

• bcrlsn
    3 years ago

Have you considered stripping and staining the mantle a richer color? The current color is what feels dated to me, but I love that it is a wood element, which you would lose with painting. Multiple stains with grey undertones, such as Minwax "weathered" may give it some heft. If this beautifully styled room were in my house, I'd sand or strip the mantel and stain it something richer, keeping the wood tone and grain. A chestnut stain may complement (but not matchy- match) the floor color. Or a charcoal-brown stain may complement the wall color. Or no stain for a really natural look or a "driftwood" color stain for a naked wood look. My primary objective would be to keep the grain and texture and movement of wood while moving away from the yellow or peach tones of maple but I definitely would not paint it. Beautiful room!

PS - I love your popcorn ceilings! Miss those! I know people hate them, but, I feel sentimental toward them and have cleaned and kept them in my homes that have them. In a MCM we worked on we added sparkles which became their own feature at night with Sputnik-style lighting on dimmer.

• dianamm1
    3 years ago

I agree with "bethperson" about removing the top uprights. They are drawing the eye to the ceiling rather than framing the fireplace. I would not cover the niche with doors as it looks spectacular with the horse and other objects in it. I would kill for a spot like that to display things and make seasonal statements. I might consider a lighter color on the back wall of the niche to provide a contrasting backdrop for darker objects. You appear to have lighter paint behind the sofa so I would try a bit of that on the rear wall of the niche. I also agree with "bethperson's" idea of beefing up the mantel. I agree that the wood seems a bit orangey but if you are planning to replace your floors someday you might want to decide then on a color or wood stain that compliments the floor. Until then just removing the top uprights will minimize the overwhelming effect of the wood color. Also, I believe that wood is not a precious substance. It takes a little courage to paint or stain it sometimes but unless it is a pricey, endangered or historically antique wood just do what makes you happy. That's what a house of your own is for.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

If it were my home, I'd remove the upright wood pieces as well. I'd close up the niche too, and drywall over it. I'd hang my TV on the new drywall and paint the remaining mantle white.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

NOOOO! I think you have a really unique and interesting wall. Leave it alone! Just add one wood piece to the coffee table and perhaps a leather and fabric pillow to the sofa or chair. Done!

accessories · More Info

• rancherogrl
    3 years ago

Sorry, but that whole mantel situation is hideous. Rip it out, if you're trying to go modern.

• carol beachlady
    3 years ago

Or, replace it with a more modern style. Simple, a single shelf, perhaps stone or tile around the fireplace. Use a lighter wood, and paint surrounding walls a much lighter shade, or white. Lots of photos to look at on this website.

• makmartell
    3 years ago

I think what you’ve done in the last few weeks is lovely! (I think a bunch of people aren’t reading the whole thread.). Love the RH horse!

• shelleybarry1961
    3 years ago

Been trying to have my husband get rid of the oak stuff, not working

• User
    3 years ago

I like flo’s pillow suggestio, and here are some others. To me the modern style that you‘ve got going is headed in the direction of Milan modern, a kind of dramatic mix of embedded classical elements and modern living

Roma Italy Pillow · More Info

Wesley 22"x22" Pillow, Toffee Kit · More Info

Pillow Decor - Ticking Stripe Sienna 15 x 15 Throw Pillow · More Info

Torino Chevron Pillow, Tricolor, 12"x20" · More Info

And some oversized books of black and white photography for that empty end of the glass table., topped with your skyscraper! I really like your big graphic pillow.

• carol beachlady
    3 years ago

Good pillow suggestions - very trendy and unique . . . and responding to the photo that bethperson sent. This looks to be a historic house museum, and the items on the mantel are a collection of related objects and this really helps. Group like objects. Yeah, go ahead and paint out the mantel in the same tone of white as the rest of the wood trim. By the time you add a table lamp or 2 and a floor lamp, all with light shades . . . and some art work . . .