SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariam_davis

What color cabinets?

Maria Davis
3 years ago

We just purchased a home and are having some work done. We recently refinished the hardwood floors to a lighter color and repainted the entire interior. Now the kitchen feels out of place and I would like to have the cabinets refinished. I’m not sure what color to go with. I’m leaning toward white but I worry that would make the living room feel too white. We also plan to keep the black countertops.

What do you guys think? I would also appreciate recommendations on hardware and backsplash

Comments (36)

• PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would use a very soft neutral green and warm white for the cabinets. It will look great with your floors. If you have a lot of natural light, you may be able to go a little darker with the green- something like this:

Natural Textures Throughout · More Info

• megs1030
    3 years ago

You have a blank slate, really. I think white would look really washed out. But maybe a very very light gray? I would grab some paint samples and poster board, tape the samples onto your cabinets to give you an idea of how some different colors would look with your flooring.

Don’t worry about b/s just yet. Nail down your cabinet color and get them refinished. Once that’s done, then start shopping for backsplash.

• Related Discussions

Alabaster paint, what color trim, what color cabinets?

Q

Comments (1)
    I am no help with colors, but I will advise you to prime the oil painted fixtures before painting them with latex paint. I once lived in a house with all oil painted walls. Back then, you had to prime them with oil-based primer to switch to latex paint, or the latex would simply peel off in time. Since I could not breathe oil paint fumes, there was no way for us to paint the house interior! Nowadays, I believe that latex primer will do the trick.
    ...See More

Calcutta Black countertops what color cabinets?

Q

Comments (32)
    Waterfall islands look best in very contemporary kitchens and also with nothing in the island . Your kitchen is not that style and I dislike quartz always and that one is interesting but not in your space . A homes color palette is best chosen as a whole not one room at a time and as much as I love drama that counter does not work in your home from what I see. If you must inist on that counter then IMO black cabinets and forget the waterfall.
    ...See More

What color cabinet paint pairs with serenity quartz countertop for mas

Q

Comments (0)
    What color cabinet paint pairs with serenity quartz countertop.
    ...See More

What color cabinets with this beautiful prefab for vanity?

Q

Comments (22)
    You will need to bring actual paint samples to the slab. This is very tricky to pull off correctly - do not select a paint recommendation from on line. These suggestions should get you in the ballpark when selecting samples - starting with Celery’s BM Natingale and Coastline (but bring a range within those families).
    ...See More
  • htduban
    3 years ago

I'm thinking a green would be gorgeous. The first photo shows what it would look like with your black counters. The second photo shows what it would look like with your lighter floors.

N28 Tudor · More Info

Sherwin Williams Paint Inspiration/Projects · More Info

• flopsycat1
    3 years ago

I like the cabinets as they are, but agree they don’t look great with the floor color. If you must paint them, the sage green is a good choice. Backsplash choice should be deferred until cabinets are refinished.

• PRO
    Altair
    3 years ago

I think white is going to look the best or maybe even a shade of blue?..

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

the kitchen lacks counter space. I think I'd hang on at least 4-6 mo and actually use the space. Flaws should be noted before something major like painting cabinets..... so using the kitchen for some time is critical. .

• Monica Towns
    3 years ago

I love the cabinets in wood as they are. Perhaps just a colourful kitchen carpet runner through the long stretch would brighten it up for now until u decide what to do. Once you get furniture in there the whole thing may come together better than u think. Always go with what YOU want because you are the one living there.

• Marla
    3 years ago

White is classic & will go with the black counters. You could do a nice blue on the island & white on top.

• User
    3 years ago

I think you will need to complete all your decorating for the adjoining spaces and then see where you are. Ordinarily I don't like natural wood cabinetry for myself, but the quality of your wood is very nice, and once you paint, there is no going back, So I would only take the plunge when you are sure it is going to be just right visually for the rest of the open space.

I agree that a rug might be all you need when all is said and done or you might be surprised what a difference it could make to change the glass shades on the pendents to something else -- again, all depending on what style you choose for the rest of the living space.

• Deb Hanna
    3 years ago

I‘d go with white and darker shade for island base for contrast. Maybe dark grey almost black like BM Black Iron or a midnight almost black navy depending on your overall color palette And tones in your new floor. Add a rug and nice piece of colorful serving pottery or ceramic on island to highlight a color from accessories in your bigger room.

• babbs50
    3 years ago

Go with a color you like for the bottom cabinets. I would not recommend one as your choices are unlimited. I personally like the color of your cabinets, but they do compete with the floor. Check out some kitchens on Houzz with painted bottom cabinets and you will come up with something you like.

• Lynn G
    3 years ago

I think white cabinets give you the greatest amount of flexibility. You can always paint the walls a different color, but it's a lot of work to paint cabinets.

Also, you might want to paint the base cabinets a different color: hides dirt more. But the white uppers make a space look more spacious.

As for counters, I love wood counters with painted cabinets. Just a natural/shine finish on them, not stains that make them darker and hide the beautiful natural wood grain. The natural wood will bring in a great deal of warmth that may be missing with the very light floors and painted cabinets.

Also, I don't think the wood counters ever go out of style. The granites often do: the trend started with black granite. Then that went out and folks were tossing away 10's of 1,000's of dollars worth of rock for another color. I shudder to think of all the land being destroyed for trendy counters. Meanwhile, even if another buyer wants a different counter in the future, the wood you use will biodegrade.

I put butcher block in for my counters and never tired of them. I did it because my aunt had pine wood plank that I loved and never tired of either. There's just a beautiful warmth that can't be had any other way....

• suzytx55
    3 years ago

I think jlampkin has nailed it. As much as I love green the taupe and gray make that floor shine.

• Kim Ford
    3 years ago

I have had “Riverbank” light green with a bit of grey, cabinets for several years and love the color. I have natural wood planked floors as in your picture. It works very well.

• Robert Brown
    3 years ago

Beautiful fresh colors would be Sherwin-Williams Sea Salt for cabinets and Sherwin-Williams Quietude for island.

• chrissiekirk
    3 years ago

The cabinets are wonderful, timeless (maybe give them a real good cleaning...don't paint the wood! Wood is meant to be seen and enjoyed!) You need a brighter back splash (tiles with black, gold and white design) and under cabinet lighting...replace the island fixtures (something fun and funky perhaps?) and I think you'd be really pleased...but give it time, don't rush into anything...do some window shopping for tiles and light fixtures...have fun with it!

• trixylarue
    3 years ago

YES!! I agree with Rob Brown....SW SEA SALT!! Look at Sweet Pickins Milk Paint & Furniture on Facebook. She has a new home & painted her doors with Sea Salt. I have several rooms painted with it. In my opinion it is a great neutral but still has color! Have fun decorating your new space!

• Terrie B.
    3 years ago

Lol, I have the same cabinets and love how the honey maple looks - just not with your new floor so much. I would do the backsplash the same material as the counter and continue right up to the cabinets.

• Eileen Harris
    3 years ago

I would do a grey or green both are very popular colors right now. Joanna Gains just painted her cabinets green. You should check it out on her IG.

• alice68
    3 years ago

I love the wood, but the current finish is not quite right with the floors. I think that I would strip the cabinets and have them refinished in a lighter finish, with a non-yellowing sealer. We did this in a house we owned and were thrilled with the results. I must admit that I have a deep preference for wood as wood. I always think that painted cabinets look a bit cheap. I know that is a throwback to my younger days when cabinets were painted only to hide inferior, cheap construction. Nevertheless, if you have good quality wood why not show it off?

• HU-786049761
    3 years ago

I agree that painting the cabinets white would be a classic choice especially given that you have one wall of cabinetry, and other wall of both lowers and uppers and keeping them uniform in one

color would be more harmonious. Then focus on a backsplash that will have more impact than the existing one. Looking specifically at white kitchens with black counter photos could help you find something you like. A white modern geometric shape with a light grey grout could be interesting.

• gmcutter
    3 years ago

I just painted my medium oak cabinets a two tone...BM Lush on the bottoms and BM Subtle on the tops. We had a dark granite countertop and wanted to keep it and the dark teal/green backsplash. I also added brushed nickel hardware. I just LOVE it. Here are some before and after pictures

• 29helane
    3 years ago

I’d pull gray from your flooring and use a light gray ”Cloud” or stronger gray like “Silver Setting” to anchor the kitchen ( see Before & After photos)Both are Dunn Edwards colors. I‘d also coffer your kitchen ceiling to create a “Wow” factor .

• surfor
    3 years ago

Jlampkin has nailed it - taupe and grey with the floors are gorgeous.

• PRO
    Arslonga
    3 years ago

Your floor has a pinkish undertone (at least on the screen) so you need something with pink undertone in it. Natural colours are in track now, so try Burren Plain by BM. It has pink undertone, very natural itself, will not kill other furniture in the space like all green or navy kitchen can. This colour is very calm an goes

extremely good with plain black countertop.

• 29helane
    3 years ago

Floor is cream, it’s the lighting that does not show it accurately. Thx for your ideas.

• Jennifer Svensson
    3 years ago

Personally I’d do a matte black.

• dee_mckervey
    3 years ago

How about a white wash refinish or pickled wood? To keep the wood look but lighten it up?

• Jill Krol
    3 years ago

Personally I would not paint the cabinets because painted cabinets chip easier. I would sand and stain them in a colored tone. I went with a slate that had the maple light color showing through -- sort of toned. It's gorgeous with my multi-toned floors. You need to go to a kitchen place and look at the color samples to see what you like. Computer screens do no justice to actual samples.

• Marie margaret
    3 years ago

The wood cabinets are beautiful and the style is transitional/contemporary. I'd recommend you strip the finish and do a white, gray or charcoal wash stain that will give the color change you're seeking but keep the beauty of the wood and complement the black countertops. I'd keep the backsplash simple and neutral and change it up with the pendants, counter stool and hardware. Good luck and enjoy the process!

• Laura Cunningham
    3 years ago

If the cabinets are solid wood are they able to be sanded and refinished and stained a different color perhaps or left natural with a clear coat finish? I am a BIG fan of solid wood cabinets, however, I agree they look out of place with the newly refinished floors. I do like the option of painting but in my experience, paint is a pain as it does come off with wear and tear and I will never have painted cabinets ever in my kitchen again.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

I had the same combination and opted for black lowers and a bluish grey on top, to compliment the open concept living/dining room and love the look.

Consider what will going on in the rest of your space as well as your backsplash. See below to get a feel of different looks - all the same, two tone and even restaining island.

• oct1976
    3 years ago

I think I would leave the cabinets alone and furnish the adjoining areas with accents to incorporate the stain color of the cabinets. This would balance out the cabinets. You could add a few stain pieces like wood armed chairs with the same stain color, pillows for sofas, framed art on the walls, etc. Don’t overdo it, just pops of color to compliment the stain cabinets.