SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Ham bone broth advice . . .

l pinkmountain
3 years ago

So once again, the Jewish vegetarian is posting on the CF asking for meat advice . . .

Hubs got a bone in ham on super sale today at the grocery store so we got it to last us for many meals this winter. It is super salty!! For the meat I can rinse it, but I cut it up and packaged it for the freezer and now have a lot of gristly fatty bits and the bone covered with meat bits. Of course I need to make this into some type of soup broth.

How to do it? is my question. I will most likely do it like I do with a chicken carcass but I'm wondering how to deal with the saltiness. I'm thinking I will end up maybe dividing it into portions to be mixed with unsalted chicken or vegetable broth later . . . Also wondering about the really fatty bits. Is there any reason to simmer the fat bits with the bone? How much flavor will they give vs unnecessary calories and fat? There are quite a few pieces that are kinds mixed with a little bit of meat and gristle and a lot of fat. Wondering whether to throw those in and also pure fat pieces. I know you would traditionally add those bits to bean dishes, but I'm not sure I want to do that even if it tastes good. The tradeoffs for fat are tough. I'm trying to maximize the benefits and minimize the negatives, using it judiciously.

Of course I will also chill and skim fat too.

Comments (18)