SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittyfam

Just made bone broth on ham hocks; need your thoughts.

Else
5 years ago

I had four smoked ham hocks that I boiled in water with some veggies for flavor (onion, carrots, baby leaves, pepper, white vinegar, can't remember if there was anything else). I took the hocks out after three hours, removed the meat and skin plus the big pieces of fat. Then I put the bones back into the pot and broth. I probably should have taken out the veggies at this point, but I left them in. Being that these bones are so thick, I simmered them for 48 hours to extract as much from the bones as possible. I just strained and discarded the bones and "veggies" (what's left of them).

When I first took the hocks out to remove the meat, the broth was cream colored and tasted very good. After two days, it is now dark brown and not really so tasty. I can probably use it, but it isn't nearly as appetizing as before.

Does this sound normal to you? Would it have tasted better if I had removed the vegetables when I took the meat out? Do people use pork bones for bone broth?

I have used poultry like this before and it's been fine once I use for soup or recipes. Just disappointed that it doesn't taste so good anymore. Would appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (10)