SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katelyn_fife

1923 four square kitchen restoration helps

Katelyn Fife
3 years ago

We need help figuring out the layout for our 1923 four square restoration. The kitchen is currently small, and we’d like to open up the space to have a better view or our back yard & the sunset. Currently, the second back set of stairs & main floor bath is blocking this view. I’d like to keep the historical integrity and charm of the house as much as possible, but am having a hard time envisioning our future kitchen/ dining layout. Our original plan was to rip out the second set of stairs & bathroom (relocate the bathroom in our garage addition) and create an open L shaped kitchen with an island (or work table) and a big dining area along the back of the house *(where the bathroom currently is). The stairs to the basement will be moved to the garage, so that area will be flush with the rest of the floor, and opened up to the back of the house. I’m now wondering if we should relocate the second set of stairs somewhere in the renovation plan, to keep the character of the home, but I’m not sure where they should go. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (10)