SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rdecember6

A range hood in front of the window?

rdecember6
3 years ago

We have an upcoming kitchen remodel and one of the things I'm stuck on most is the dang range hood!

I know many of you will tell me to do otherwise, but we are putting our ceramic cooktop under a beautiful large window. Many variables brought us to this design and I like everything about it but I'm struggling with the hood. In a perfect world I'd scrap the thing altogether. I don't like them, and have found just a few that I find tolerable from a visual perspective. And those that I do like are integrated into upper cabinetry that I'm not going to have in the new kitchen. But I know, I know. I need one because A. we cook a lot and B. those beautiful windows deserve a shot at staying clean! I'd be grateful for your troubleshooting advice.

A FEW DETAILS:

1. Our ceilings are 8ft

2. We'll vent outside

3. I'm not down for a downdraft (see what I did there?)

4. If I choose a standard vent hood then I'll be boxing it in like the design photo attached.

5. Our last resort will be to move the windows to each side and just have wall behind the cooktop so that there aren't windows in the center for the hood to be blocking. But this actually gives full spotlight to the hood which we are trying to avoid.

MY MAIN QUESTIONS:

1. I know that it's recommended that you NOT hang a hood higher than what will give you 36" inches between the cooktop and bottom of the vent. Can I cheat this guideline a little? Maybe by getting one with a wider coverage area than the cooktop I could compromise? I know I'd be giving up a little bit of the function.

2. I read on another forum where someone actually installed Broan Ceiling Vents in order to be as low profile as possible. Broan even sells grease screens for these so I know it's possible, although I know you wouldn't capture all the cooking steam/grease.

3. Do you think there's a way to install a similar type of vent (as the Broan) that's actually mounted on the wall? You'd have to be super creative on how to make that look good (or hide it), but I'm just really trying to think outside the box here!

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!