SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redbird_tn

First Day Cover - Ethelyn Emery Keays

For the past year or so, I’ve been tenaciously checking used bookstores/online book sellers for a reasonably priced copy of “Old Roses” by Ethelyn Emery Keays (both the 1935 and the 1978 edition with a foreword by Leonie Bell). After having no luck, I finally decided to check eBay as you can occasionally find old books there. I didn’t find the book, but I did find something else…

It is a 1978 First-Day Cover (FDC) featuring Mrs. Keays. (First-Day Covers are envelopes that are cancelled the first day that a stamp is issued.) It was part of a limited-edition series of First-Day Covers focused on women’s history. Over a five-year period, creator and developer Judith Kaplan, designed, researched, picked the subjects, and completed the write-ups for more than 170 women. Many of the FDC subjects were later commemorated on US stamps.

This FDC was just a few dollars and in mint condition; I'm glad I happened upon it! Here’s the front of the envelope and the biographical card that was tucked inside.

Comments (6)