SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kes4753

Creekside Manor Tea- What Is It Really?

Kes Z 7a E Tn
10 years ago

Every now and then I take a chance on a rose. When Vintage was closing and offered this one, I thought I'd try it. I have no idea why I picked this rose since I've never been a fan of just plain pink roses. Just something about it.

When I got it and potted it up, it immediately began to grow. It put on quite a bit of growth and before long it produced a bud. I went ahead and let it bloom just the one bud, so that I could see what I had. The single blossom was fragrant, full and pink. After that, it didn't do much for the rest of the summer and fall but seemed healthy enough. It joined the rest of my potted bands in a protected spot in the corner of an east-facing ell in the back yard against our house and covered with leaves. I had always been able to winter over roses and perennials not quite hardy here in this space.

Fast forward through the Great Polar Vortex in its many phases. I lost roses, not only in pots but established roses, planted in the ground. Of my two older (10 + yrs.) teas, one is showing signs of life finally, and is trying to come back from its roots. Not sure yet about the other one. However, Creekside Manor Tea sailed through the winter with only a little dieback and is now happily sending out new growth.

First question- Is this really a tea? What is it? I know that it is thought to be the same rose as somebody else's "Jean Bach Sisley". Does that mean that it is really Jean Bach Sisley or does it mean that both roses are mislabeled? It sure doesn't grow like my other teas.

Second question- What can I expect of this rose with both temperature extremes? Last summer was relatively mild here with only a handful of days above 90 and more rain than normal. I doubt that we'll see the same this summer. Heat, humidity and periodic draughts are the rule for our summers.

Third question- What can I expect of this rose size-wise? I read HMF but I find that the same rose grown in the South can vary greatly from the size that they give.

I would like to find a permanent spot for this rose since it has so far shown itself to be a survivor but I need more information about it. Anyone else know something about it? Has anyone grown it?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio