SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
historian79

Pull Down Faucets vs. Articulating Faucets

Danielle Gottwig
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the functionality and design of the new articulating faucets. Are they an improvement over the more standard pull-down faucet? Do you like them? Hate them?

I saw one of these (Brizo Artesso Articulating) in person and liked the look, but I was also puzzled by it. Here's the one I saw:

This faucet reminds me a bit of first faucet I ever picked out for myself: a semi-pro style that relied on magnetic docking for the head (Blanco's culina mini).

But the use of this one was less intuitive. My old semi-pro was super easy to dock and undock. Lots of fun was had by all.

Likewise, my current pull down Delta faucet is easy to dock and undock, and the flexible hose is, of course, flexible.

By contrast, the articulating faucet felt a bit harder to dock and undock successfully. The joints in the arm in theory offer a wider range of motion - and you can leave the faucet "fixed" in any of a number of fun positions. - but the joints also felt a bit stiff. On the plus side: I suppose that means it won't go too loose in a day. On the negative: side, I would up using two hands to reposition it, which made me wonder how often I'd really want to do that while cooking or juggling objects.

Maybe it gets easier to use a few weeks in - and when its actually anchored to a counter that provides some leverage? And I should also admit that I had a toddler in one arm when I played with this faucet, and the toddler was wiggling, and wanting to try all the faucets herself, which meant I was struggling and had a very limited period of time in which to try figure the faucet out.

Anyway, I'm just wondering - from a purely a functional perspective--what works best *as a faucet* in a hard working kitchen? Is this design more functional (once one figures out how to take advantage of it)? Is it a good design trend? Or not so much?

Comments (2)