SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendog2

Refinishing Oak Entry Door

kendog2
3 years ago

Hello,

We recently purchased used oak double entry doors. Of course, they are stained the typical orange oak color that we all know and love. Lol. I want to refinish them using oil based General Finishes Java Gel Stain. I put one of the doors on sawhorses and will begin with the exterior side which is much more weathered than the interior side.

I'm a total newbie at refinishing wood. I've watched some videos on the General Finishes site. It is suggested to lightly scuff the clear coat with 220 sandpaper, wipe off the dust and then apply the gel stain. The clear coat on the exterior side of my doors is very dried out. There are some black stains at the bottom of the door as well as cracks and nicks in several places.

Some people recommend using Oxalic Acid to remove the black stains. I read some reviews on this product that say it doesn't work that well. One person said that hydrogen peroxide was more effective. Another said that Whink rust remover is the ticket. Since I have hydrogen peroxide around the house, would it be a good idea to try that first?

What type of wood filler should I use to fill the cracks and small chips and dents? I have begun sanding the door. However, there are some lightened areas that remain lighter even after sanding. How should I fix that problem or is it unnecessary? Will the dark stain cover evenly, making the lighter areas a non-issue?

Once the door is smooth, should I put the clear coat directly over the bare wood, then scuff it, add the gel stain and the final coats of clear coat? Or should I stain it the original light oak color, before continuing with the other steps so that the two sides of the door will match better? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments (2)