SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bleusblue2

Our Women friends?

bleusblue2
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I had a phone conversation with my sister, “Janet”, who lives in another city.

She has had three “best” friends in her life – a highschool friend, a work friend and recently a friend she met through friends. She was analysing why she hasn’t kept these friends, especially the last one, Marie who is a charming and talented woman. Janet comes to the conclusion that each one likes her as she is and then tries to make her into the perfect friend they’d prefer her to be. She once said that she didn't choose her friends, they chose her.

I can make a pretty objective description of my sister. Her marriage is very happy, no children. She has her own business which she loves and takes up a lot of time. She’s a ‘helper” – example – an acquaintance, not a native speaker of English, had a bank problem. My sister, spent hours going over the statements, going to the bank with her, etc. She’s very sharp yet trusting. She’s a Leo and exemplifies that sign if that means anything. Any party she gives will be wonderful – but she isn’t a perfectionist. She’s thoughtful. and a great listener, open to lots of different people.

They enjoyed each other's company a lot. But Marie, who is retired wanted a friend to go shopping with. Janet seldom could do that but would always be ready to meet for coffee or a lunch (with a time limit) Their big get togethers were birthdays, holidays, and dinners out as a foursome. There was always a feeling that Janet wasn't available enough. That was usually the sticking point. For Marie's recent birthday, Janet spent a day doing whatever Marie chose to do. They spent the day polishing Marie's silver and talking and eating and having a wonderful time.

They are no longer seeing each other. Marie let Janet down and simply felt she had no reason to apologise. (It had to do with ignoring a hospitalisation) Janet says, "this is not my idea of a friend."

You could say, well, they were too different. But we don't need friends to be who WE are. Life is more interesting, has more texture when we are stretched to make changes we didn't know we could do.

As sisters we talk about this – I’m a more easy going person and have never cut anybody off. I may have drifted away. The friends I have aren’t very demanding. When my husband was alive I saw my own women friends much less often, just for a breakfast or coffee in a restaurant. We also had friends that were a couple and some single friends. A friend may have inadvertently hurt my feelings but I don’t think one has ever let me down. I have three very dear best friends.

I think friends kind of find each other. People are attracted to each other for unknown reasons. There has to be respect. And I think married people may have less need for best friends. You know, I’m just mulling this over. Sorry it’s so long. Can anybody relate to this?

Comments (31)